Follow these steps to finance your graduate education.


Path to financing your graduate education



  1. File FAFSA

    • Prior to being admitted to Georgetown College prospective students may complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) application.
    • This application may be completed online at the following link.
    • In order for a student to receive any form of federal financial aid (loan, grant, etc.) GC must receive a FAFSA for that student for the appropriate year. In order to receive a student’s application, GC must be listed as a recipient. When selecting schools to receive your application be sure to include GC. Our federal school code is 001964.
    • When completing the application, it is important to remember that FAFSA years correspond with academic years. For instance, the 2017-2018 FAFSA is the application required in order to receive federal financial aid for the 2017-2018 academic year. For graduate students at Georgetown College, academic years start in the fall semester and continue through the spring and summer semesters.






  3. Receive "Financial Aid options" email

    • Upon being admitted to Georgetown College, each student will receive an email with information concerning financial aid options.
    • This email will contain important information, instructions and links to a variety of financial aid options including the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, the Federal TEACH grant, KHEAA’s Teacher Scholarship Program, and the Kentucky Traineeship Program.



  4. Complete financial aid paperwork

    • After reviewing financial aid options, students should complete the required paperwork for any form of aid they wish to receive.
    • Required paperwork includes:
      1. Federal Forms of Aid
        1. Direct Unsubsidized Loan
          1. Loan Entrance Counseling
          2. Subsidized/Unsubsidized Master Promissory Note (MPN) as a graduate borrower
        2. TEACH (Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education ) grant
          1. TEACH Grant Counseling
          2. TEACH Declaration Sheet (included in FA Options email)
          3. TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve (cannot be completed until after classes have begun)  
            *Any form of federal aid also requires a FAFSA application to be on file at GC.
      2. KHEAA’s Teacher Scholarship Program
        1. The Teacher Scholarship Program provides financial aid to Kentucky students pursuing teacher certification at participating Kentucky colleges.
        2. The application deadline is May 1st.
        3. This application can be completed online using this link.
      3. Kentucky Traineeship Program
        1. Traineeship Program funds are available to help defray part of the tuition costs for courses that lead to teacher certification in special education or early childhood education.
        2. Deadlines vary based on the semester for which you apply but keep the following schedule:
          1. Fall semester - July 1st
          2. Spring semester - November 1st
          3. Summer semester - April 2nd
        3. Application information can be found online using this link.

        *Please note that Georgetown College does not offer any institutional scholarships for the graduate education program.







  6. Receive charges for the semester

    • Once a student is registered for classes charges will be posted to the student’s account.
    • When considering the amount of financial aid to request a student should consider the amount of tuition and fees.
      1. Fees that will need to be covered include loan origination fees and technology fees.



  7. Submit aid request

    • You are required to submit an aid request for each semester in which you wish to receive financial aid.
    • This request is simply an email sent to the Graduate Financial Planning Office ([email protected]), which should include the following information:
      1. Student name
      2. Student ID number
      3. Number of hours you are scheduled for
      4. Semester for which you are requesting aid
      5. Type of aid requested (loan, TEACH grant, or both)
      6. Dollar amount you are requesting.
    • If you are unsure of the amount you wish to request you may indicate to simply cover certain charges. Examples include:
      1. Tuition
      2. Tuition and fees
        *If you do not request to cover any and all fees, you will still have a balance due after your loan or grant comes in.



  8. Receive notice that financial aid has been awarded

    • Once a student has been awarded financial aid it is necessary that the student accept his/her awards before they will be applied.
    • An email will be sent to confirm that financial aid has been awarded with instructions to accept each award.



  9. Accept financial aid

    • In order to accept financial aid awards it is necessary to complete the following instructions:
      1. Log in to the my.GeorgetownCollege website
      2. Select the Grad Ed tab
      3. Under Financial Aid Awards select the appropriate award year
      4. Click View Financial Aid Awards.
      5. For each award select Accept or Decline.






  11. Financial aid disbursed for full-session students and first sub-session

    • Any amount of financial aid that you request beyond your charges will be issued to you in the form of a refund check.
    • Refunds are not sent out immediately following the start of classes but rather after the completion of a student census.
      1. For students enrolled in full-session courses (classes 15 weeks in length) the full amount of financial aid is disbursed at the start of the semester.
      2. For students enrolled in sub-session courses (classes 7.5 weeks in length) only half of the total financial aid amount is disbursed at the beginning of the semester. The remaining half will be disbursed following the start of second session classes.
    • You may arrange for your refund to be deposited directly into your checking account. Otherwise, the student accounts office will mail the check to the physical address they have on file for you. To make direct deposit arrangements please contact the student accounts office at 502-863-8700.



  12. Receive notice to complete TEACH ATS (if applicable)

    • For those students who requested and accepted a Federal TEACH Grant award, the final step to receive TEACH grant funds is to complete a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve (ATS)
    • Our office will put awards on file at this time, which will allow you to log in to to complete the ATS.
    • An email will be sent to those students with instructions to complete the ATS.



  13. Complete TEACH ATS (if applicable)

    • Once instructions are received and the TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve (ATS) is completed, TEACH grant funds will then be disbursed.
    • As with other forms of aid, TEACH grant funds are disbursed in full at the beginning of the semester for full-session students while sub-session students receive half of their award at the start of each sub-session.



  14. Financial aid is disbursed for the second sub-session

    • For students enrolled in sub-session courses (classes 7.5 weeks in length) only half of the total financial aid amount is disbursed at the beginning of the semester. The remaining half will be disbursed following the start of second session classes.

      Please contact the Graduate Financial Planning counselor in the Student Financial Planning Office at 502-863-8027 if you have questions. We are happy to help!

Request More Info chevron_right