The following teacher preparation programs are offered by Georgetown College and are approved by the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board as a basis for the issuance of the corresponding teaching certification:
- P-5 Major in Elementary School
- 5-9 Certification in Middle School
- 8-12 Certification in Secondary School
- P-12 Certification for Elementary/Middle/Secondary School
Criteria For Admissions Into Teacher Education
- Students must apply for admission to Teacher Education no earlier than the completion of five hours of Education classes including EDU 131, Current Issues in Education.
- Each student must have a 2.75 cumulative grade point average on a 4.00 scale and have completed all previous education classes with a grade of “C” or above and a 2.75 or above grade point average in these education classes.
- Each student must provide three references from faculty/staff who will agree to recommend for admission to the teacher education program purposes (one recommendation must be from a professor in your major.)
- Each student must have a copy of the American College Test (ACT) score on file with the Registrar’s Office.
- Successfully passed the Praxis I exam (PPST) math, reading and writing.
- Each student must demonstrate written proficiency as evidenced by a grade of “C” or above in English 112 and completion of appropriate Education Department forms (applications, portfolio). Great care should be taken in completing the form for entrance into teacher education. The application must be well written and error-free in order to be approved by the Teacher Education Committee. Students may want to utilize the services of the College Writing Center.
- Each student must complete an official curriculum contract with the designated Education Advisor. This contract is completed during an appointment with the advisor. The contract must be in the student’s file in the Education Department before admission will be considered.
- Major/Minor Declaration must be submitted upon application to the Teacher Education Program. This form is obtained at the Registrar’s Office.
- Each student must demonstrate satisfactory performance in an interview that includes presentation of the items in the Interview Portfolio.
- Students who are denied admission to the program or who seek to strengthen their application may work out a plan of action with a member of the Education Faculty.
TC-1 forms will be completed during student teacher orientation. These forms will be submitted upon completion of degree and successful completion of Praxis.
Once the EPSB has processed the TC-1, a Statement of Eligibility will be issued to you and sent to the address you submit on your TC-1 form.
For more information about teacher certification, you should check out the Educational Professional Standards Board website at http://www.kyepsb.net or call the toll free number (888) 598-7667.