You can bet that the memoirs (excerpted below) of Eugene Isham Enlow ’44 will be one of the highlights of the “Georgetown Stories” project that will be on exhibit this fall – and featured during Homecoming 2012, Sept. 21-22.

We hope that Mr. Enlow’s recollections will spur to share YOURS with Dr. Juilee Decker’s Curatorial Studies class, which will then compile them and turn them into a show in the Cochenour Gallery (1st floor, Ensor Learning Resource Center). Then, oin us for “fireside chat” on these stories at noon of Homecoming Friday.

Gene  Enlow graduated from Georgetown College on D-Day in 1944 as a Bible major. Both of his parents were also graduates of Georgetown College. While here he was an active member of the basketball team, glee club, the Baptist Student Union, and many other campus activities. He went on to serve as pastor in several locations including Bethany and the Beechmont Baptist Churches in Louisville, and Immanuel Baptist Church in Tulsa, OK.

We encourage to first view Enlow’s senior portrait in the yearbook, then enjoy these excerpts from his digitized memoirs – thanks to GC Archives Coordinator Sandy Baird.

 p. 5   Our Freshman basketball team (1940-41) won 17 straight games for an undefeated season. In those days the freshmen could not play on the varsity team although we scrimmaged the varsity daily and had our own schedule. “One of the greatest freshman basketball teams in Georgetown College history completed its net season when the University of Kentucky Kittens fell before the Cubs of the local institution 47-40.” It made for a perfect season by beating the Kentucky freshman team twice, and defeating all the other opponents that year (Belle of the Blue, 1941.”Basketball”). The majority of this team continued on the team with their winning ways in the 1941-1942 season. Then on December 7, 1941 Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese. More on the basketball teams will follow.

p. 8   On Wednesday night Dec. 9,1941, we played Carson Newman College at Jefferson City, TN. We won the game and since it was the last on the southern road trip we went to the dressing rooms in jubilation over our successes. Coach Evans came into the dressing room as we were showering to tell us to load up as soon as possible. He had just had a telephone call from Georgetown telling him that Dr. Sherwood, our college president, had been fired that day and we would drive all night back to Georgetown. We were traveling in three cars, twelve players, two coaches, and team student manager, Shorty Price. We traveled with five men in each car, and exchanged seats when we got bored with one another. We left immediately and drove all night arriving in Georgetown just as the sun was rising over the eastern sky. Coach Evans had been a close friend to Dr. Sherwood and an adviser in the athletic affairs. With Dr. Sherwood leaving, Coach Evans and Assistant Miller did not stay after the spring semester. With the attack on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese many of the athletes and male students from the school volunteered for military service. Others were soon drafted.

p. 9   I was deferred from military service because I was already pastoring at Crooked Creek Baptist Church and was in Bible classes preparing for the full time ministry as a student at Georgetown. I was told by my draft board at Williamstown, Ky., I would be deferred because the county didn’t have many ministers for wartime ministry and since I was already a pastor and in school for the ministry I would be given a 4-D Draft Status. This was the draft status for ordained ministers and pastors. So I was able to continue my studies, even with gasoline rationing and driving back and forth to school and church, I could preach elsewhere as the invitations came.

p. 10 My Senior year at Georgetown was noteworthy as it was in the middle of World War II. Rationing had begun. The news of the war was constantly on the radio and in the newspapers. One of the first students to die was Ralph Fulton, who had graduated at the last spring commencement. He was an outstanding student leader, a KA who lived in the room next to mine in the KA House. He volunteered for the Air Force, and was killed when his training plane crashed. A second student, Ralph Lamma, who had been a starting end on the varsity football team and a sub on the basketball team, and a member of the Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, was lost at sea as a Naval training airman flying off of a large aircraft carrier on a training mission.These two men were very popular and their losses impressed us with the serious of the war.