Planning on majoring in voice in college? Enter the 6th Annual Georgetown College High School Vocal Competition!
- When & Where: In the John Hill Chapel on the campus of Georgetown College in Georgetown, Kentucky: Saturday, February 15, 2014.
- Who is Eligible?: High school seniors who plan to major in vocal music (Bachelor of Arts in Vocal Music or Bachelor of Music Education – Vocal at Georgetown College).
- Competition Repertoire:Applicants must be prepared to present three (3) musical compositions from memory representing varied times periods and styles. One (1) piece may be from Broadway theatre repertoire. At least one (1) piece must be in a foreign language. At least one (1) piece must be in English.
- Competitors have the option to bring an accompanist, or Georgetown College will provide an accompanist for a $40 fee. The accompanying fee covers morning rehearsal, afternoon competition, and evening Winner’s Recital, if applicable. If you do not send the accompanying fee with your entry form and need an accompanist assigned to you when you arrive, the accompanying fee on February 15 is $50.
- Judging Criteria: Competitors will be judged by three (3) vocal professionals.
Students will be judged on technical skill, musicality, accuracy, presentation, beauty of the voice, and potential for future vocal growth. Your competition will also be considered your entrance audition for the Georgetown College Department of Music.
- Competition Procedure:A detailed schedule will be sent to the email address indicated on the entry form. In the morning, you will receive a rehearsal time with your assigned accompanist if you have not brought your own. Practice rooms will be available on rotation for the competitors. The competition will take place in the afternoon.
- You will have nine (9) minutes to sing for the judges.
- You will select your first piece and announce it to the judges.
- The judges will then choose a second selection.
- If there is time remaining, the judges may hear some or all of the third piece. Time will be called after nine minutes. If a second round is determined necessary by the judges, there may be a final round of competition.
- If there is a final round, the judges will hear all three selections during the final round. Throughout the day, when not rehearsing or competing, contestants will be taken on campus tours, take a Music Theory Placement Exam for entering music majors (which has no bearing on the competition), and have the opportunity to meet with Georgetown College students and faculty.
- Winners will be announced in the late afternoon.
- Competitors must be present at the awards ceremony and perform on the Winner’s Recital in order to receive scholarship awards.
- The Winner’s Recital will be in the evening, and singers performing should be prepared to wear semi-formal attire.
- Winners from the piano competition will also be performing on the Winner’s Recital.
The competition and Winner’s Recital are free and open to the public.
- 1st Place: minimum of $12,000 per year for 4 years at Georgetown, total of $48,000*
- 2nd Place: minimum of $8,000 per year for 4 years at Georgetown, total of $32,000*
- 3rd Place: minimum of $6,000 per year for 4 years at Georgetown, total of $24,000*
- Honorable Mention Scholarship Awards: vary, at the judges’ discretion*
- Every competitor will receive $250 per year for 4 years at Georgetown College*
1st, 2nd and 3rd Place Competitors will perform that evening on the Winner’s Recital. One or more Honorable Mention Competitors may also be invited to perform on the Winner’s Recital.
How to Apply
Fill out the entry form, and send it to:
Georgetown College Department of Music
400 E. College St. #274
Georgetown, KY, 40324
Include the $25 entry fee (check made out to Georgetown College), and the $40 accompanying fee (separate check, made out to “Accompanying”) and sheet music, if applicable.
Questions? Contact Dr. Rebecca Miller at Georgetown College at (606) 524-0263 or Rebecca_Miller@georgetowncollege.edu.
Application Deadline: February 11, 2014.
* Scholarship awards are only for study at Georgetown College, may not be transferred, and are dependent upon the following criteria: 1) Acceptance to Georgetown College; 2) The student must declare and maintain a music major and a minimum GPA of 2.8; 3) The student must meet any other music department requirements regarding participation and academics; 4) This scholarship in combination with any other college awards you receive (including but not limited to academic scholarships) may not exceed $22,000 per year.
Vocal Competition 2014 Entry form
Interested in auditioning for the program or scholarships but don’t wish to compete and/or be a music major? We have scholarships available for majors, minors and even elective music students. For more information, or to set up an audition contact Dr. Rebecca Miller at Georgetown College at (606) 524-0263 or Rebecca_Miller@georgetowncollege.edu.