Exhibition Proposal: 2017-2018 Call
Georgetown College will review proposals for exhibitions in the Anne Wright Wilson Fine Arts Gallery and the Cochenour Gallery. Exhibitions are scheduled for 1-3 months with the new schedule set in line with the school year. Group and solo exhibitions are possible and all media will be considered. Georgetown College encourages exhibiting artists to give talks and/or critiques for students.
To submit a proposal, please provide between 6 to 10 digital images; image list with title, media, dimensions, and date for each work; resume; and artist statement. Information can be sent by postal mail to: Director of Art Galleries and Curator of Collections, 400 E. College Street, Georgetown, KY 40324. Or, submit via e-mail to: email@example.com with “Call for Artists” in the subject line. For packets sent by postal mail, please include your e-mail address as well as a self-addressed, stamped envelope if you would like materials returned.
- December 15 – submission receipt deadline
- January 30 – results e-mailed to artists
Public Art Proposal: 2017-2018 Call
The Public Art Collection at Georgetown College in Kentucky, exemplifies quality sculpture and installations, beautifies the college campus, exposes students and visitors to artwork that is openly accessible and outside of conventional gallery space, and provides an environment for intellectual growth where students and the community can view and learn about art. The collection features contemporary art that use conventional and innovative materials including granite, limestone, bronze, as well as Cor-ten steel and thermal-transfer prints. The collection evidences the important part that the visual arts play in the cultural landscape of Georgetown College, a private liberal arts in north central Kentucky college founded in 1829.
Over the past twenty years, the Public Art Collection has benefited from several gifts and purchases, and such efforts were given new life in 2007 by GC alum (1957), Richard Spears’ funding of a public sculpture exhibition. That exhibition entitled “Live.Learn.Believe”, brought ten works to campus on a temporary basis. Due to its aesthetic and critical success, the Courier Journal named the collection one of the top art exhibitions to visit.
As with the past calls for submissions, a jury will select one sculpture for temporary display on the campus grounds from August 2016 through August 2018.
The selected artist will receive an honorarium of $2000, of which $1500 will be awarded upon installation and the remaining $500 upon de-installation of the work. The $2,000 honorarium is intended to cover transportation, installation and de-installation of the sculpture, and all incidental expenses involved. Any costs over $2,000 are the responsibility of the artist.
- This call for art is open to all artists 18 years of age and older working in North America.
- The selected work is to be exhibited on the Georgetown College campus from August 2016 through August 2018.
- Works must be suitable for outdoor installation, which includes, but is not limited to the following conditions. Works must: 1) be able to be structurally secured to concrete pad or other substrate with anchor bolds or similar devices; 2) be capable of withstanding adverse weather conditions (high winds, snow and ice, below zero temperatures); 3) be able to withstand a high traffic environment; 4) require little to no maintenance during the entirety of the installation; and 5) take the audience’s safety into consideration. Works judged unsuitable will not be considered for this exhibition.
Georgetown College will provide insurance coverage during the exhibition from August 15, 2016 through August 1, 2018. Georgetown College reserves the right to photograph and videotape any submitted work/lecture for documentary, educational and publicity purposes.
The selected artist will be responsible for every aspect of delivery, installation, and removal. Georgetown College will provide limited assistance and will supervise the installation of the work. The piece(s) must be installed during the dates of August 1 – 15, 2016 and removed during the dates of July 15 – August 1, 2018. Art MUST be installed no later than August 15, 2016. Work(s) that cannot be installed by that time will be disqualified. The accepted artwork(s) must be removed by August 1, 2018.
Artists may sell the work during the project period. However, the work must remain on site for the duration of the exhibition. The listed sales price should reflect a 30% commission to the Georgetown College Fine Arts Advisory Board in order to fund further projects.
Works will be juried by a Georgetown College Art Advisory Board composed of representatives from Georgetown College, the Georgetown community, and an independent juror (an arts professional from outside the community).
1) Completed entry form and notification card (an artist may submit more than one but no more than three works)
2) High resolution digital images (jpg) of works submitted for the exhibition: maximum of three works two or three views of each work; each image file labeled with name of artist, title, image number, and indication of proper orientation
3) Image list including image number, artist name, title media, dimensions (h x w x d), date, value and other applicable information
4) Current professional resume of artist/artist team
5) A one-paragraph artist statement and a brief artist biography
6) Email your submission using Dropbox
Deadline for submission is January 15, 2016. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
All entrants will be notified of the selection results by e-mail in a timely manner. For other questions about the competition, contact Georgetown College Director of Art Galleries at 502.863.8399 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please download and fill out the Entry Form and Notification Card – PublicArtCall16-17 – and attach it to your submission.