Child Development

Professor Susan Hart Bell, Program Coordinator

Contact the Program

Child Development Program
Georgetown College
400 East College Street
Georgetown, KY 40324


The child development minor provides core coursework relevant to the education and direct care of children. In addition, students may choose courses tailored to their individual career interests.

Interdisciplinary Minor

Twenty-four hours required, to include the following:
Required Core Courses 9 hours
All of the following are required:
 PSY 111 General Psychology 3 hours
 PSY 340 Child Development 3 hours
 SOC 213 Marriage and the Family 3 hours
Psychological Processes 3 hours
Select 1 of the following courses:
PSY 242 Adolescence and Adulthood 3 hours
PSY 260 Social Psychology 3 hours
PSY 328 Learning 3 hours
PSY 333 Cognitive Psychology 3 hours
PSY 343 Personality 3 hours

Cultural Diversity and Socio-cultural Context

2-3 hours
Select at least 1 of the following courses*:
ART 216 Survey of Art History I 3 hours
ART 217 Survey of Art History II 3 hours
EDU 309 Teaching in a DiverseSociety 2 hours (co-req  EDU 307)
HIS 213 Asian Civilization II 3 hours
HIS 310 History of the South 3 hours
HIS 424 History of the Middle East 3 hours
SOC 211 Community 3 hours
Child Guidance and Health 3 hours
Select at least 1 of the following courses*:
COMM 323 Conflict Management 3 hours(co- or prereq:  EDU 131)
Child Guidance and Health (continued)
EDU 233 Student Development, Behaviorand Learning 3 hours
KHS 320 Nutrition 3 hours (prereq: consent of instructor)
PSY 360 Fieldwork 3 hours (prereq: consent of instructor)
PSY 415 Counseling Skills 3 hours(prereq  PSY 355)
Exceptional Children/Atypical Development 2-3 hours
Select at least 1 of the following courses*:
PSY 355 Abnormal Psychology 3 hours
EDU 307 Educating ExceptionalChildren 2 hours (co-req:  EDU 309)
PSY 417 DevelopmentalPsychopathology 3 hours (prereq: PSY 242 or 340)
PSY 419 School Psychology 3 hours (prereq PSY 242 or 340)
Art/Music/Theatre 2-3 hours
Select at least 1 of the following courses*:
ART 115 Drawing 3 hours
ART 313 Art Education 2 or 3 hours
MUS 314 Foundations and Principles of Music Education 2 hours
THE 407 Creative Dramatics and Children’sTheatre 2 or 3 hours


Students applying any of the above courses to a major or another minor must substitute another course in the affected area.


* Students choosing 2-hour courses must carefully select additional coursework to equal the required 24 hours. PSY 440 Independent Study can be taken for 1-3 hours if needed, with consent of the instructor and approval of the department chair and the Provost


Students may plan an area major in Child Development.

Click to See Career Options


  • Teaching
  • Administration
  • Religious organizations
  • Montessori schools
  • Private, public, franchise, and corporate day care centers
  • Private homes
  • Family day care
  • Extended school programs
  • Preschools
  • Head Start programs
Develop physical stamina for working with children. Acquire appropriate certification or licensure for day care and public school teaching. Obtain experience working with children through volunteering or part-time jobs. Demonstrate patience with children and the ability to work well with people of various backgrounds. Develop strong communications skills to deal effectively with parents.


  • Administration
  • Development
  • Programming
  • Research
  • Evaluation
  • Community centers
  • YMCA or YWCA
  • Consumer protection agencies
  • Summer camp programs
  • Adult day care providers
  • Hospitals
  • Rehabilitation organizations
  • Religious organizations
  • Adoption agencies
Seek related work experience; particularly summer camps or special needs areas. Learn to work well with all types of people through volunteer or paid positions. Obtain Child Life Certification for some areas. Develop strong presentation and public speaking skills. Be willing to wear multiple hats within an organization. Learn how to write grants. Develop research and writing skills.


  • Case Management
  • Counseling
  • Administration
  • Profit and nonprofit organizations focused on children, youth, families, or senior citizens
  • Adult and child day care providers
  • Group homes
  • Half-way houses
  • Youth services agencies
  • Senior citizens’ programs
  • Foundations and funding organizations
Supplement child development curriculum with courses in social work, sociology, or psychology. Obtain a master’s degree and appropriate licensure in mental health counseling, social work, or rehabilitation counseling to provide therapy. Earn a graduate degree to obtain most administrative positions. Gain experience through volunteer positions or internships.


  • Teaching
  • Early Childhood Education
  • Early Childhood Special Education
  • Home Economics
  • Family and Consumer Sciences
  • Curriculum Development
  • Research
  • Counseling
  • Administration
  • College Student Affairs
  • Parent-Child Education
  • Public and private schools (K-12)
  • Public preschool programs (e.g., Head Start)
  • Private preschool programs
  • Montessori schools
  • Adult education programs
  • Colleges and universities
  • Programs servicing children and adults with special needs
Acquire appropriate certification for public school teaching. Obtain Ph.D. for college and university teaching and research opportunities. Acquire certification for day care and parent-child education. Obtain graduate degree for counseling, student affairs, and administrative positions. Find part-time or summer jobs working with children. Serve as a tutor, peer mentor, resident assistant or student advisor.


  • Child Care Programs
  • Education
  • Hospitals
  • Healthcare facilities
  • Health and wellness agencies
  • Hospices
Earn a master’s degree in Social Work, Counseling, or related areas for the most opportunities. Obtain experience in advocacy. Acquire licensing or certification for some areas. Volunteer in a healthcare setting.


  • Management
  • Sales
  • Customer Service
  • Manufacturing companies of children’s clothes, toys, furniture, and food
  • Department and retail stores
  • Service organizations
Minor in business; develop skills in areas such as management, marketing or sales. Secure leadership positions on campus. Get related experience through internships or part-time jobs. Build computer skills in word processing, database management, and spreadsheet programs.


  • Journalism
  • Public Relations
  • Writing
  • Editing
  • Research
  • Organizations geared toward children and family including: Book publishers,
    Professional associations, Radio and TV stations, Nonprofit organizations, Manufacturers, Newspapers, and Magazines
Minor or double major in a communications field. Develop excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Submit articles or books for publication. Work for campus publications or radio stations. Complete internships with related organizations.


  • Social Services
  • Rehabilitation
  • Program Coordination
  • Research
  • Program Evaluation
  • Legislation
  • Advocacy
  • Federal, state and local government agencies (i.e., Departments of Health, Education and Welfare, Criminal Justice Departments, Sanitation, Fire/Safety, Nutrition, and Cooperative Extension)
  • Vocational rehabilitation
  • Mental health agencies
  • Military child care programs
  • Overseas child care and education programs
  • Health and wellness agencies
  • Women’s protective agencies
Take additional courses in area of interest. Develop strong presentation and public speaking skills. Obtain specialized training for opportunities in protective services or law enforcement. Complete an internship with a government organization. Learn federal, state, and local job application procedures.

General Information About Careers Related to Child Development

  • Bachelor’s degree in child development is sufficient for entry-level positions.
  • Advanced degrees in child development are essential for clinical and therapeutic counseling positions.
  • Master’s degree or Ph.D. is often needed for administrative and supervisory positions.
  • Ph.D. is required for college teaching and advanced research positions.
  • Additional or specialized child development training qualifies one for higher paying and positions of greater responsibility.
  • Obtain part-time, summer, internship, or volunteer experience in positions related to child development, such as child care, schools, hospitals, camps, or overseas programs or in advocacy or service-oriented programs dealing with alcoholism, drug abuse, family violence, aging, poor, or disabled populations.
  • Obtain certification in CPR, safety, and first aid for adults, children, and infants.
  • Develop interest and gain experience in computers, arts, crafts, music, or physical activity.
  • Obtain certification for specialized areas including Child Life Specialist or Child Advocacy.

Helpful Links

Prepared by the Career Planning staff of Career Services at The University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
(2005) UTK is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA /ADEA Employer

© 2014 Georgetown College • 400 East College Street, Georgetown, KY 40324 • 1-800-788-9985

Georgetown College admits students of any race, color and national or ethnic origin.