The Three Year Accelerated Degree Program is designed to prepare students to seek Senior Status at major English institutions of higher learning. Having completed a Georgetown degree in three years, students may compete for positions that would allow them to receive a second degree after two additional years in England. Emphasizing upper-division and tutorial courses, the Three Year Accelerated Degree Program offers an ideal liberal arts experience. The program is highly competitive. Entrance to this program is granted after an application process separate from that of the regular college admissions process. Please contact the Director of Oxford Programs for more information about the nature of the degree and the application process.
For the BA in Liberal Studiesâ€”Interdisciplinary Major
Fifty-seven hours required in courses numbered 300 and above taken in at least four of the following disciplines: Art, Biology, Chemistry, Economics, English, Modern and Classical Languages and Cultures (includes Classics), History, Math (includes Computer Science), Physics, Music, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Religion, Sociology. A maximum of eighteen upper-division hours may be earned in any one discipline. Two courses must be tutorial courses in two different disciplines. Any discipline in which the student earns eighteen upperdivision hours will be listed as an emphasis within the major.
For the BS in Liberal Studiesâ€”Interdisciplinary Major
Fifty-seven hours required in courses numbered 300 and above taken in Biology, Chemistry, Math (including Computer Science), or Physics as one disciplinary concentration and two more of the following disciplines: Art, Economics, English, Modern and Classical Languages and Cultures (includes Classics), History, Music, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Religion, Sociology. Up to thirty-six upper-division hours may be earned in Biology, Chemistry, Math (including Computer Science), or Physics. Another twenty-four upper-division hours are required outside the Math/Science concentration in two separate disciplines. Two courses must be tutorial courses in two different disciplines.
Any discipline in which the student earns eighteen upper-division hours will be listed as an emphasis within the major.
In all cases Three Year Accelerated Degree students must:
- Satisfy the Georgetown College Foundations and Core requirements as outlined under Foundations and Core Program in the Catalog with the following exceptions:
- Students must satisfy the English Composition requirement by completing ENG 112 (not ENG 115).
- Students may satisfy the Religious Studies Area of Inquiry requirement by completing ONE Biblical Studies course.
- Satisfy the NEXUS program requirement by completing six NEXUS credits per full-time semester enrolled at Georgetown College.
- Complete a minimum of 112 hours for graduation.
Year by Year Competency Requirements for both the BA and BS in Liberal Studies
- Writing â€“ Completion of English 112 with a grade of B or higher.
- Technology â€“ Ability to use technology as needed in fields of study.
- Aptitude â€“ Evidence of maturity and discipline required for study abroad.
- Minimum 3.00 GPA by end of the second semester in the program.
- Students must pass their first tutorial by the end of their fourth semester in the program with a grade of B or higher.
- Oral Communication â€“ Competence in public speaking as assessed by tutor(s) and other faculty (for students without prior experience in forensics or completion of a course in public speaking).
- Fulfillment of competencies in senior level writing, oral communication, and technology.
- Pass second tutorial with a grade of B or higher.
- Minimum 3.25 GPA by end of the final semester in the program.