Special arrangements have been made by which an undergraduate student may attend Georgetown College for three years and the University of Kentucky for two years and receive degrees from both institutions attended, a Bachelor of Science Degree with a major in Nursing Arts from Georgetown College and a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from the University of Kentucky. Students may be able to attend other schools of nursing, but no special arrangements have been made with other schools.
(*Students will attend Georgetown College four full-time semesters plus two part-time semesters and the University of Kentucky four full-time semesters and two part-time semesters. Students will be part-time in both institutions for two semesters.)
Initial Admission To The Program. To be accepted into the Dual Degree Program in Nursing all students, including transfer students, must meet admissions requirements of the University of Kentucky College of Nursing, namely: an ACT composite score at the 50th percentile on national norms and a high school grade point average of 2.5 or more. Students must also be approved by the Admissions Committee of Georgetown College.
Continuation in the Program. A student planning to pursue the dual degree program in Nursing Arts needs to contact the Georgetown College Program Coordinator by the beginning of the sophomore year.
Admission to the University of Kentucky. At the end of three full time semesters at Georgetown College, a student must have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher for work completed at Georgetown College. Students must have successfully completed CHE 111, 112 and CHE 113 before beginning their nursing courses at the University of Kentucky. In addition, enrollment in nursing classes requires completion of an approved certified nursing assistant program.
General Requirements. Students must have a minimum of 83 semester hours credited at Georgetown College. Students will be required to satisfy the Cultural Enrichment Program requirement by attending six events for each full-time semester at Georgetown College. See the discussion of this program elsewhere in the Catalog. Students must finish all requirements for the degree at the University of Kentucky to be eligible to receive a degree from Georgetown College. Courses required for the B.S. in Nursing Arts:
Area Hours Courses Which Meet Requirements
- EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION
- English Composition 6 ENG 111, 112
- Speech 3 COMM 115 or 200
- CHRISTIAN FAITH AND VALUES
- Religion: Gospels 3 REL 231
- Religion: Old or New Testament 3 REL 233 or 235 or 237
- NATURAL SCIENCES
- Biological Sciences 19 BIO 111, 212, 305, 305L, 306, 311
- Chemistry 8 CHE 111, 112, 113
- Mathematics 6 MAT 107 or 125; MAT 111 or PSY 211
- CULTURAL AND AESTHETIC VALUES
- Fine Arts Appreciation 4 Select two of the following: ART 107, MUS 107, THE 107
- Humanities Sequence 6 Select one of the following two course sequences: HIS 111, 113; ENG 211, 213; or PHI 201, 203
- Humanities Supplement 6 One course from each of two areas not chosen for the humanities sequence(including also PHI 150, 151, 152)
- Cross Cultural 3 One course from HIS 417, 424
- PHI 301, POS 311, 312, or 346
- FOREIGN LANGUAGE AND CULTURE
- Foreign Language 0-9 Demonstrate language proficiency at the intermediate level (201) in one of the following languages: French, Spanish, Japanese, German, Latin, or 203 level in REL (Greek) (Students with strong language background may bypass some or all language courses.)
- HEALTH 3 KHS 320
- PHYSICAL EDUCATION 1 KHS 100
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
- Psychology 3 PSY 111
- Sociology 3 SOC 111
- INFERENCE 3 PHI 152 or MAT 125