Students are sometimes unsure about what career opportunities are available to them with a Biology degree or a degree in Environmental Science. We hope some of these ideas are helpful:
Suggested Career Paths
- health: physical therapist, occupational therapist, respiratory therapist, physician assistant, surgical assistant, nurse practitioner, etc.
- medical technology including: cytologist, hematologist, etc.
- physicians: medical doctor, chiropractor, osteopath, veterinarian, ophthalmologist
- researcher in: universities, federal and state agencies, private industry
- wood technologist, urban forester
- environmental consultant, risk assessment specialist
- economic botanist
- educator: higher education or K-12
- food scientist
- horticulturist, landscape designer
- natural resource manager, soil scientist
- genetic counseling
- marine biologist, fisheries biologist
- interpretive naturalist, nature preserve manager
Environmental Science Majors
- agricultural specialist
- air quality inspector in private industry or with a state or federal government agency
- aquaculture research in private industry or with a state or federal government agency
- county extension agent
- conservationist for state or federal government agency
- environmental law
- environmental scientist in industry
- lab technician in private industry or with a state or federal government agency
- OSHA specialist
- soil scientist
- water quality inspector in private industry or with a state or federal government agency
Graduate and Professional Schools Attended by Alumni
- graduate school working on Master’s degrees (athletic training, Biochemistry)
- graduate school working on Doctoral degrees (toxicology)
- medical school at Louisiana State University, University of Kentucky, University of Louisville
- osteopathic school in Pikeville, Ky
- nurse practitioner degree at Vanderbilt University
- veterinary school at Auburn University
Enviornmental Science Majors
- Clemson University Ph.D. in Entomology
- Duke University M.S. in Environmental Management Emphasis in Environmental Toxicology, Chemistry, and Risk Assessment
- Keller Graduate School of Management MBA
- Miami University (OH) M.S. in Environmental Science
- Purdue University M.S. in Outdoor Education
- Texas A&M M.S. in Wildlife and Fisheries
- University of Charleston, South Carolina M.S. in Environmental Studies – Policy Track
- University of Georgia Ph.D. in Entomology
- University of Kentucky M.S. in Public Administration Emphasis in Environmental Management
- University of Kentucky Law School
- University of Oklahoma M.S. in Biology
Positions Held by Alumni
- Central Kentucky Blood Center
- Warner-Lambert Pharmaceuticals
Environmental Science Majors
- Appalachian Regional Director; Tri State Waterways Partnership Coordinator; Wildlife Habitat Council
- Associate Director for Technology; U.S. Environmental Protection Agency; National Risk Management Research Laboratory
- Conservation Education Program Leader; KY Dept. of Fish and Wildlife
- Environmental Affairs Specialist; Toyota Motor Manufacturing, U.S.A..
- Environmental Inspector III; Division of Waste Management; Kentucky Department for Environmental Protection
- Environmental Scientist/Assistant Project Scientist; Roy F. Weston, Inc.
- Environmental Specialist; Bonneville Power Administration
- Field Service Manager; Advanced Environmental Technical Services
- Field Technician; Commonwealth Technologies, Inc.
- Fishery Biologist; National Marine Fisheries Service in Mississippi
- Forest Ranger Technician; Division of Forestry; Kentucky
- Group Leader; PTRL East, Inc
- Laboratory Technician; Commonwealth Technologies, Inc.
- Manager of Environmental Affairs; Toyota Motor Manufacturing, U.S.A..
- Mechanical Testing Laboratory Aide II; Inco, Inc.
- Outdoor Recreation Planner; Rocky Mountain Arsenal; U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Colorado
- Senior Aquatic Biologist; Commonwealth Technology, Inc
- Senior Environmental Chemist; 3M Environmental Technology and Service
- Senior Environmental Enforcement Specialist; KY Dept. of Environmental Protection
- Staff Geologist; Chevron USA Production Co.
- Volunteer Coordinator with the Kentucky Chapter of the Nature Conservancy