Giddings Hall (built in 1842) is one of three campus structures built before the Civil War. Originally known as Recitation Hall, legend has it that the student body of 200 was evenly divided when the Civil War broke out. Pro-South students raised the Confederate flag over Recitation Hall after the firing on Fort Sumter. Pro-Union students attempted to take it down and a fist fight ensued. The president lined the students up, Northerners and Southerners, on Giddings lawn and marched them off to war. The faculty members, mostly from the Northeast, were strongly pro-Union.

Giddings Hall now houses the offices of the President, Provost, Development, Marketing and Public Relations.