Giddings Hall (built in 1842) is one of three campus structures built before the Civil War. Originally known as Recitation Hall, legend has it that the student body of 200 was evenly divided when the Civil War broke out. Pro-South students raised the Confederate flag over Recitation Hall after the firing on Fort Sumter. Pro-Union students attempted to take it down and a fist fight ensued. The president lined the students up, Northerners and Southerners, on Giddings lawn and marched them off to war. The faculty members, mostly from the Northeast, were strongly pro-Union.
Giddings Hall now houses the offices of the President, Provost, Development, Marketing and Public Relations.
The Chapel is the hub of NEXUS events, chapel services and arts performances.
Offices for faculty of the Theatre & Performance Studies Department.
Capacity: 2,500 (Basketball) 1,500 (Volleyball)
Davis-Reid Alumni Gym is used chiefly for Physical Education classes, and intercollegiate basketball and volleyball. It was dedicated in 1926 to replace the gymnasium that had been used since 1893. Inside the cornerstone lies a copper box containing the history of Georgetown College.
The columns of the gym are patterned after the style of Giddings and the building is made of cut brick, thus reflecting Colonial Revival architecture. At one time, Alumni gymnasium housed a swimming pool and the trophy room. When the chapel burned in 1930, the gym temporarily held the chapel services and various classes. Parts of the gymnasium also provided housing for students. In 1986, the gym underwent massive renovation that led to the removal of the balcony and increased capacity to 1,800 people.
The facility was renamed in January 2010 to honor longtime basketball coaches Bob Davis and the late Jim Reid.
Home to the Graves Center for Calling & Career,Â providing comprehensive career development programming and services for students.
Services available to students include:
In addition to a full collection of web-based resources, the Graves Center houses the Baldwin Career Resource Library, a collection of hundreds of career guidance books and periodicals.
The Presidentâ€™s residence on Main Street, also known as the Graves House, was built by Harvey C. Graves in 1859 on land purchased from the Georgetown Board of Education. Graves supported the establishment of the college and served as one of its trustees.
The Greek Revival structure was purchased by the college in 1961 and became the presidentâ€™s home. Robert L. Mills was the first college president to live in the house.
It is often used for receptions and dinners hosted by current President and Mrs. Bill Crouch. Dr. Crouch has been President of Georgetown College since 1990.