Have there been times that you have asked yourself, “What will I do with my life after Georgetown?” I know when I was a student at Georgetown College there were times that I wasn’t sure what I would be doing after I graduated. I am thankful to have gone to our College—a place that supports students in discovering what they want to do with their lives. And, while the Graves Center for Calling and Career did not exist while I was an undergraduate at GC, there were still professionals dedicated to helping students succeed and determine their calling.

I encourage you to visit the Graves Center for Calling & Career but don’t wait until junior or senior year. This is an excellent resource on our campus that will help you discern your calling and career. Make sure to make an appointment with Ray Clere, Director, Holly James, Associate Director or Alice Ward, Graduate Intern.

I asked Ray Clere to share a little bit about himself and why the services at the Graves Center are so very important. Here are his thoughts:

Tell me a little about yourself?

“I just began my new job overseeing the Graves Center for Calling and Career at Georgetown.  Before coming to Georgetown, I directed the Career Services Office at Indiana University’s School of Public and Environmental Affairs. I’m excited to be at Georgetown and I’m looking forward to the beginning of the fall semester and the arrival of the students.

A few interesting facts about me:

• I’m a dog lover.  I have a wonderful four-year old golden retriever named Huck.
  • I’m from a big family. I’m the second-oldest of five boys.
  • I grew up in Georgetown (Indiana), so this is a homecoming of sorts.
  • I enjoy camping and hiking and most outdoor sports.  After finishing college I worked for the summer at Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming/Montana. That was a great summer.
  • I enjoy going to the movies and I also enjoy theater and live music. My all-time favorite band is U2 and I’m determined to see them in concert one day.”

Why do you enjoy working in career services?

“I’ve worked in career services now for almost eight years.  One of the things that I enjoy most about career services is that your work is also changing and evolving and every day is different.  I also enjoy assisting students with their career development.  It’s immensely rewarding when a student that you’ve worked with is successful in securing a job/internship or admission to a graduate program or an inspiring post-graduate program like Teach for America, Peace Corps or the Student Conservation Association.”

What advice would you give to a first-year students regarding career preparation?

“I would say that it’s important to begin considering career interests early in your college experience.  I recommend that they visit the Graves Center early and often and that they get involved on campus and in the community in leadership programs and service activities.  Every employer wants job applicants with good grades, but they’re looking for much more than a good academic record.  They want candidates who have internship and volunteer experience, and most employers really value community service.”

What services does the Center offer?

“We offer a wide range of services ranging from one-on-one career counseling to mock (practice) job interviews and information sessions and interviews with visiting employers.  We also provide career assessment tools like the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, the Strong Interest Inventory and TypeFocus Careers which are designed to help students identify career interests and preferences, and develop a career action plan.  We maintain a large collection of print resources in the Graves Center resource library and we offer a web-based career library called “Career Insider” that you can access from the Graves Center website at any time.  We also post jobs and internships to the TigerNet system and we’re happy to meet with students to review resumes and other career documents.”

I also asked a recent alumna of Georgetown College to share a bit about her experience at the Graves Center for Calling and Career. Here is what she had to say:

“The Graves Center was very helpful in my search for an internship during my senior year. I only wish I had taken the opportunity to utilize their expertise earlier in my college career. Even though I didn’t know exactly what I was looking for in an internship, the Graves Center was able to take my interests and my educational background and help me see what my options were. The Graves Center knows what opportunities are available to students because of past internships they have helped arrange and the contacts they have maintained with students and companies. I currently have an internship at a company where numerous Georgetown graduates work. It has helped me realize how important intern experience is to gain a competitive edge against other job applicants. It also helps that most internships give class credit and some are even paid.”

Don’t forget to take some time to visit the Graves Center for Calling and Career and get to know what services and resources they have to offer!

Angela Taylor is the Associate Dean of Students and Director of Greek Life and Student Accountability.