Registering for an upcoming term is easy, but the process can differ depending on whether you are a currently enrolled undergraduate, a graduate student, or an incoming freshman or transfer student.  Registration can be accomplished online or by visiting the Registrar’s Office on campus.  By following the guidelines below you can avoid some common problems that could occur during registration.

Registration for Current students begins at fixed times, based on total hours earned, and once open, continues until just before the term begins.  (Summer registration is freely available once the schedule is set, until the session starts.)

Registration Procedures

1)  Consulting things like your major/minor sheet, the college catalog [available here], and campus friends and contacts, get an idea of classes you want to take and which will help you progress toward a degree.  Outline an ideal schedule and possible options to consider.

2) Meet with your advisor during the advising period to discuss course requirements, set an ideal schedule, get “Registration Clearance“, and to determine your assigned registration group and time.  (You may also find your registration group on, but will still need to be “Cleared to Register” by your advisor.)

3) Once your registration time opens, plan to register for classes as soon as possible by logging in to (click on the “Academic Info” tab and select “Registration” from the drop down menu) or, if you have difficulties or need special permissions, by visiting the Office of the Registrar in Highbaugh Hall 105.

Plan for Alternate Courses

When you meet with your advisor, you should write in Alternate Courses at the bottom of the Registration Form in case one of your first choices is closed or has a time conflict with another course. This should be a different course from others already listed and not just a different section of a chosen course.  Keep a copy of this form to use as a working document when you register online.

Check for Course Prerequisites

Make certain you have completed the prerequisites (if any) for each course before you write it on your registration form. If there is any doubt, refer to the College Catalog for clarification. Online registration will not permit you to register without completion of prerequisites or approval with an Approval Card.

Consider Your Languages Options

Students with two years or more of German or Latin at the high school level who want to continue in the same language(s) must take the departmental placement exam(s).

Students with two years of French or Spanish at the high school level desiring to continue in the same language must enroll in the 102 level course. To enroll above the 102 level, students must take a departmental exam to determine their best placement.

Courses at the 101 (elementary) level will still be available for students who wish to begin a new language or for those with less than two years of high school study in the language. 101 credit in French or Spanish will not be given to students who have completed two years of high school study of that language.

Will You Need Signatures?

If you drop off your Registration Form in the Registrar’s Office, or if you need special course approval, the following signatures are required:

  • Your Signature in the lower left of the Registration Form
  • Your Advisor’s Signature on the lower right of the Registration Form
  • Approval Form– Signatures are required on this form designed for special situations not accommodated for in online registration or on the Registration Form. (See below for details.)

The “Approval Form”

The Approval Form is used to obtain permission by signature for the following special situations:

  • Faculty Approval required for a course (Instructor & Student signatures)
  • Time conflict (both instructors & Student signatures)
  • Over-enrolling a course (Instructor & Student signatures)
  • Independent Studies (Instructor & Student signatures)
  • Internships (Instructor & Student signatures)
  • Course Overload of 19 or more hours (Advisor & Student signatures and  GPA requirements)
  • Prerequisite waiver (Instructor & Student signatures)

You may pick up this form from your Advisor, the Registrar’s Office, or by clicking here Approval Form.  The completed form should be dropped off at the Registrar’s Office.

Education Majors

A student must have taken and passed the Praxis exam and have been formally admitted into the Teacher Education Program in order to register for all 300-400 level EDU courses with the exception of EDU 307 and 309.

See Education under the academic tab on the college website or the college catalog for more information on certification areas.

Auditing a Course

Students may audit a course, but this should not be done for any courses required for graduation. You will complete an Audit Form in the Registrar’s Office. There is a calendar deadline for this option.

Pass/Fail Course Option

A student may designate up to 14 hours of course work for completion under the  Pass/Fail option.  This option is strictly for elective hours, and for courses that do not fulfill a major, minor, allied course, concentration, or general education requirement (see major/minor descriptions in the College Catalog).  A Pass/Fail Card can be obtained in the Registrar’s Office. There is a calendar deadline for this option.

300/400 Level Courses

Freshmen may not take 300 or 400 level courses without permission from the Academic Dean.

Waitlisted Courses

In the event that one of the courses you want to register for is closed, you may “waitlist” for this course. This course will be noted on your schedule in the computer. If an open slot becomes available in the course, the next person on the waiting list will be added into the course by the Registrar’s Office.   You cannot waitlist for a course in a time slot where you have successfully registered for a class.

If you are moved into a class from a course waitlist, a new copy of your schedule would normally be sent to notify you of this change. Waitlists are used only until the day before the first day of classes.

ROTC Courses

If you are interested in Air Force and Army ROTC courses, you may receive information about these from the Registrar’s Office. These courses are registered just like all other classes, but you will attend upper level and all AFROTC classes at the University of Kentucky.