ON WE GO! – January 17, 2018
Submitted on January 17, 2018
As so much attention in the state turns to the work of legislators and their decisions regarding the state’s budget for the next two years, I am including below a few items that I hope Georgetonians and others will find informative.
- Georgetown College is one of 18 non-profit, private colleges and universities in Kentucky.
- These 18 institutions:
- Serve approximately 40,000 students;
- Account for approximately 22% of the bachelors degrees conferred in the state;
- Employ close to 7,000 people;
- Add some $700 million annually to Kentucky’s economy;
- Serve some of the neediest students in the Commonwealth, including many first-generation students;
- See the majority of their graduates employed in Kentucky within one year.
Students attend college for many reasons. But consistently at the top of the list is the fact that their lives can be better, their earning capacity can be greater, and their ability to improve conditions for their families and their communities can be enhanced with a college degree. Georgetown College and the other private institutions play a tremendous role in the educational, economic and social development of Kentucky. Without question, our private institutions are incredibly valuable to the Commonwealth.
On We Go!