Important considerations during ‚Äėnon-term times‚Äô at Regent‚Äôs Park College:
- If Tutorial assistance is desired with a RPC professor, such arrangements must be made through Regent‚Äôs Park personnel at least 6 months in advance. Doing so will facilitate a more meaningful Minister‚Äôs Study Leave experience. A paper/statement would be submitted explaining the participating minister‚Äôs research goals, areas of interest, expectations, desired assistance from Regent‚Äôs personnel, etc. We are assuming that the MSL participant will be responsible for getting the Professor/Tutor ‚Äėon the same page‚Äô with the minister and his/her study leave goals. Some participants may have specific and detailed statements or proposals, while other ministers may be doing self-directed study, reflection and renewal.
- ‚ÄėAlternative study opportunities‚Äô ‚Äď for ministers who may be at Regent‚Äôs when most faculty members are on break. Certainly self-directed study is an option, as well as possible ‚ÄúBaptist History/Missions ‚ÄėDay Trips‚Äô‚ÄĚ outside of Oxford. Also, other Colleges in the Oxford University system, as well as the University‚Äôs Department of Continuing Education, may have summer conferences or seminars scheduled.
- There are three ‚Äėlibraries‚Äô at Regent‚Äôs Park College:
- Main Library is the general library for the academic community within the College, with strong holdings in the core undergraduate subjects of the College, especially Theology, Philosophy, and English.
- Angus Library is a world-class resource for Baptist and non-conformist history.
- David Nicholls Memorial Collection is a smaller library specializing in the Caribbean, Haiti in particular, with theology and sociology at its core.
- Particulars of the ‚Äėsummer schedule‚Äô as it relates to the Libraries at Regent‚Äôs Park, and therefore, how this might affect the MSL program and participants.
- The Main Library is closed during the last two weeks of July each year. ¬†¬†¬†[Note: July 2011 is an exception and the main library will not close.]
- The Angus Library is closed for the entire month of August each year. The Angus is open in July, but is heavily used by Professors. Advance notice of desire to use the Angus in July is requested. The best time for a MSL participant to utilize the Angus Library is in September.
- The David Nicholls Memorial Library is available throughout the summer months.
- Concerning other Libraries in the Oxford University system:
It is possible for a MSL participant to secure access to other Oxford University libraries. Again, advance communication and explanation is required (6 months). The minister will need to request a ‚ÄúReader‚Äôs Card‚ÄĚ (also known as a University Card, or a Borrower‚Äôs Card, or a Bodleian Card). It would be advantageous for the MSL participant to write a short paper/statement for the University explaining his or her goals and/or research focus. In other words, WHY are you requesting the card?