“You can have data without information, but you cannot have information without data.”
-Daniel Keys Moran
One of the primary ways in which any organization collects data is via the form. Forms can come in many shapes and sizes from the venerable pen and paper variety to online and automated ones. Since the My.GC portal went live in 2008 we have worked to find efficient solutions to collect data from our constituents and transform it into useful information online. In that time we’ve gone through several iterations of online form software. Our most current tool, the Contained Form Portlet, is the best tool yet.
Contained form works a lot like external, third party form and survey tools like Survey Monkey or Form Stack. Forms are quick and easy to create via a form wizard or via the graphical form builder interface. Forms in the portal can do the following:
- Collect Information
- Store results to a database for later reporting
- Send emails upon form completion
- Conditional branching within the form
Forms within the My.GC portal also have a few advantages that other services can’t offer such as:
- Prepopulating student information such as name, ID number and other biographic information
- Data driven lists pulled from any supported database on campus. (For example we can create questions with drop down lists that are dynamically populated from CX with information like which courses a student is currently registered for
- Form results can be stored in the My.GC Portal’s document management system for later viewing and sharing
Several offices and departments are already using Contained Form to collection information on campus. Some of the existing uses have been:
- Scholarships Application Forms
- Event Registration Forms
- Student Voting Booths
- Departmental Surveys
The My.GC Portal form portlet is also great to use from a security standpoint as all data is stored securely on Georgetown College servers. If you ever need to request personal information from a student, we strongly recommend use of an internal form tool in order to keep potentially sensitive or private data secure.
If you would like to know more or receive training on using the Contained Form Portlet in the My.GC portal, please contact PortalAdministrator@georgetowncollege.edu.