The James A. Roberts Travel Scholarship has been established through annual gifts by Mr. James A. Roberts to Georgetown College. Because he believes in and supports the direction of the College, Mr. Roberts plans to endow a scholarship fund designated for travel through a will bequest.
Jim Roberts began his education at Murray State College and transferred to the University of Kentucky, graduating with a degree in Civil Engineering. He has worked for the Commonwealth of Kentucky in the engineering department throughout his career
A Naval reservist, Mr. Roberts was called into active duty during the Korean Conflict and his love for travel began at this juncture in his life. Because he has enjoyed traveling throughout the world, he would like to provide students with similar enrichment opportunities.
The purpose of the scholarship is to provide financial assistance to students enrolled at Georgetown College for travel opportunities that will greatly enhance their academic pursuits.
Any student meeting the following criteria may be considered for an award:
- is enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at Georgetown College
- is a junior
- maintains a grade point average (GPA) determined by the focus of their travel
2.5 GPA required for students traveling to countries considered less desirable
3.0 GPA required for travel to countries attracting large numbers of tourists, i.e. England/France
3.5 GPA required for recreational travel to areas that are high tourist areas, i.e. Cancun/Bahamas
This scholarship is not renewable which will allow more students travel opportunities.
Currently, the scholarship is awarded from annual gifts from Mr. Roberts and upon endowment will be awarded from the fund’s income of the preceding year, per Georgetown College spending policy, with one half the amount awarded for the fall semester and one half for the spring semester.
Application and Deadline
Deadline: March 1
To apply, send a letter to the Director of International Programs with the following information:
- Include the name of the scholarship for which you are applying in the first or second paragraph
- Identify where you will be studying
- Describe any travel plans while abroad
- Do you meet the scholarship’s criteria?
- Describe the goals you plan to accomplish while traveling and studying abroad
- Explain how study abroad is related to your academic preparation and/or career plans
- How do your plans fit with the purpose of the Roberts Scholarship?
- Be sure to include your major
Attach a copy of your transcript (can be unofficial) to your letter.