The Office of International Programs has partnered with campusSIMs to offer an easy, affordable cell phone solution to international students. A campusSIMs SIM card is sent to all new international students with their immigration paperwork. Once you have a SIM card simply visit the campusSIMs website to sign up for a plan.
Need a SIM card? You may request one on the campusSIMs website or stop by the Office of International Programs.
Shopping for a Plan
If you choose not to utilize campusSIMs you should keep the following mind when shopping for a cell phone and plan: coverage, monthly charges, minutes offered, required deposit, phone type, contract. The cellular (mobile) companies in Georgetown, KY are Sprint, Cricket, Verizon and AT&T; however, T-Mobile has locations in Lexington, KY. Please go to their respective websites for more information.
Things to remember
- Most Georgetown College student’s have a cell phone and frequently send text messages – your cell phone is the most common way to communicate with other students
- Data plans (internet on your cell phone) can be very expensive in the United States
- It is very expensive to use your U.S. cell phone in your home country
- You can sometimes use your cell phone from your home country in the U.S. – all you need to do is switch the SIM card
- Be sure to mention that you are an International Student at Georgetown College when purchasing a phone – companies sometime provide student discounts