When shopping around for a phone, you should take into consideration things like coverage, monthly charges, minutes offered, etc. The cellular (mobile) companies in Georgetown, KY are Sprint, Cricket and AT&T; however, Verizon and T-Mobile have locations in Lexington, KY.┬á Please┬ágo┬áto their respective websites for more information.
Monthly plans provide a set amount of minutes and other services (such as text messaging) each month for a set price. These plans typically require you to sign a 2 year contract which may have fees for early termination. Basic information about monthly plans at Sprint, Cricket and AT&T is below. Please note that there is typically a one time activation fee (amount varies) when you start a monthly plan. NOTE: Cricket does not require a contract and activation is free.
|Deposit for opening an account||$50.00||$100 – $1,000 (estimated $500)||none|
|Minimum monthly charges (talk only)||$39.99||$39.99||none|
|Minimum monthly charges (talk and text)||$69.99||$59.99||$35|
|Free phone with plan||Sometimes, cheapest phone is $20||Yes||No|
|Georgetown Location||106 Osborne Way||111 Osborne Way||104 Lawson Drive Suite 108|
|Local Phone Number||502.868.0187||502.570.3977||502.863.0008|
|Contact Person||Buddy Campbell||unknown||unknown|
Information up-to-date as of June 22, 2012
Pre-paid plans, also known as pay-as-you-go plans, do not require you to sign a contract. You purchase a set amount of minutes and/or texts and use them until gone. This option is typically best for the person that does not frequently use his/her cell phone.
Sprint and AT&T offer pre-paid plans. Several are also available at Wal-Mart.
The Best Deal
AT&T’s pre-paid plans allow customers to have unlimited texts and 250 minutes for calls within the United States for as little as $25 per month. They also do NOT require a deposit or contract and do not charge an activation fee. This plan also offers unlimited, free text messages to several countries.
While this may not be the best option for all students (students should be sure to evaluate all options to choose the plan that best fits their needs), it is the easiest to sign up for and provides the most text messages and minutes for the price.
Things to remember
- You will have the opportunity to purchase and set up your cell phone during International Orientation
- Most Georgetown College student’s have a cell phone and frequently send text messages – your cell phone is the most common way to communicate with other students
- Data plans (internet on your cell phone) can be very expensive in the United States
- It is very expensive to use your U.S. cell phone in your home country
- You can sometimes use your cell phone from your home country in the U.S. – all you need to do is switch the SIM card. Ask about this at AT&T.
- Be sure to mention that you are an International Student at Georgetown College when purchasing a phone – companies often provide student discounts