Guys, intramurals aren’t everything

By Eric Balmer
Sports Editor

Source: Henry.k12.ky.us Intramurals are an important part of Georgetown college.

Source: Henry.k12.ky.us
Intramurals are an important part of Georgetown college.

“It’s just a game.” This saying is a quite familiar one, but also one that may fall on deaf ears for those who participate in Georgetown College Intramurals. Although playing sports with your fellow colleagues can be enjoyable, it can be frustrating when people try to relive their high school sporting days through the supposedly “just-for-fun” competition of intramurals.

Don’t get me wrong, I love chucking dodgeballs at people as much as the next guy, but I’m not going to celebrate like my team had just won the Suber Bowl every time we win a game. Celebrating is not a bad practice. I will show my happiness if I win simple games like Monopoly. Even though this is the case, the level of celebration from winning a game of Scrabble is not going to be anywhere close to how much I would celebrate after winning the World Series (not that I would be in the position to do so).

I don’t know what the appeal is of trying so hard to win recreational sports that you would disrespect your opponent.

Sportsmanship should always be an unspoken and unbroken rule in any competition. This includes novel ideas such as being honest and shaking hands with the other team after the end of regulation. But sometimes this seems to not be an unspoken rule on Georgetown’s campus.

Now I know that it sounds like I’m just pointing fingers at other people, but I will admit there have been times where I have let my emotions get the best of me. I haven’t always been respectful of the other team. I think there is a difference, though, in getting a little heated on the field but shaking hands at the end of the game, and storming off the field after the game, not even acknowledging the opposing team.

I believe if everyone has a little humility, some honesty and just the right mindset, intramurals would be enjoyable for everyone involved.

At the end of the day, no matter how cheesy it may sound, we’re all part of the same college. We should be more friendly, less closed-off and more of a community, especially when it comes to competition.

Through all of our obvious differences, if we search hard enough, surely we can find what unifies us (and maybe we’ll actually live up to the label of Tiger Nation).