Stop the Christmas music snobbery

By Austin Fraley

crest only 278x2781 Stop the Christmas music snobberyRecently, as a consequence of my majors, I’ve discovered an eloquently put together argument by philosopher and epistemologist Alvin Plantinga concerning the nature of religious knowledge.

Driving the thesis that one can be simultaneously rational and believe in God, without any evidence whatsoever for this belief, this effort ultimately attempted to change the entire course of history in which we think about knowledge and belief in the outside world, as well as the way we do theology and the characteristics we can rationally attribute to God.

This has inspired me (read: was required of me by the class syllabus) to write a lengthy paper on this topic.

I briefly considered writing it here, but as I know that you all know how truly pointless the matters of philosophy are, let me instead bring up what I take to be, based on conversations that I hear, a much more serious and life-altering topic of debate: early Christmas music.

Every year, I see friendships disintegrate over this grave topic. If someone supports the playing of Christmas music too early (generally before Thanksgiving), that person is accused of being a bourgeois consumerist dog, anxious to bring in the Christmas spirit early solely for the sake of the materials that come with it.

If someone opposes this practice, that person is accused of being a hateful anti-capitalist zealot who was probably not loved enough as a child.
Seeing as I am both a bourgeois consumerist dog and a hateful anti-capitalist zealot who was probably not loved enough as a child, I am perfectly happy to say that these are not the reasons these two dire extremes have developed over time.

Rather, I believe that these opposing viewpoints have developed more or less out of a taste in a particular genre of music. What I mean by this is simple. Remember the Trans-Siberian Orchestra? No one complained about me listening to them in the dead of the summer.

But as soon as I pull out Michael Bublé’s Christmas album, I’m labelled a fiend (admittedly, Bublé’s cover of “Santa Baby,” which is traditionally sung by a woman, is a little bizarre).

It’s simply the genre of Christmas music you listen to. Most Christmas music sounds the same—happy. People cannot listen to happy music indefinitely or else they go crazy.

I once listened to Contemporary Christian Radio for three straight hours while writing a paper. After it was over, I owed a downtown convenience store $400 in damages for riding a rabid horse right into their shop. We need genre variety.

Anyway, that is just my own opinion on the subject. It could be incorrect. I encourage you to read the infinitely wise scholarly opinions you can find these days, especially on the internet.

Yahoo user captb007 says, “I think they should not play Christmas music anywhere until after Thanksgiving,” while user Bully Killer says simply, “Before Halloween,” not even seeing the need for any sort of argument. And always remember, have opinions on topics that actually matter.