“State of Sculpture” exhibit filled with diverse sights

By Andrea Bellew

crest-only-278x2781Many great works by a myriad of artists are currently displayed in the Anne Wright Wilson Fine Arts Gallery. I viewed quite an interesting display of work that pulled various emotions, memories and thoughts from me.

My favorite piece was “Sit/Stay” by Ted Lott. This piece is the framework of a house built into an old chair. It reminded me of my late grandfather, who used to create intricately detailed miniature cabins and give them to people as gifts. He made chairs as well; in all honesty he could probably make you anything you wanted out of wood. The reminder of him is probably why this piece resonated so much with me. The concept of combining old and new with a similar trait (both being made of wood) and the idea of connecting them in the first place really spoke to me as well.

Some other pieces of interest to me were “Leviathan” by Christopher M. Lavery and “Jennifer” by Elizabeth Mesa-Gaido. Unfortunately, the huge setup for “Leviathan” was not working properly because Jeanette Tesmer, Art Gallery Director, informed me that a scene from “E.T.” and manipulated sound effects were supposed to be playing. Still, it was an impressive, frightening sight; the setup of plastic bubbles, a gun and lights gave me a sense of being trapped.

“Jennifer” is from Ms. Mesa-Gaido’s Couture Series. The oddness of it is so disturbing. It looked like a red wig wrapped around a sort of octopus-looking stuffed animal. The pieces by David Marquez are rusted and fierce looking. “Styro 000: Cussi” reminded me of shark teeth, and “Artifact 008” had half of a 3D rhinoceros emerging from the backing. Both the shark and rhinoceros reminded me of a certain animalistic ferocity.

The other pieces were “That Little Heart of Mine” by Herb Goodman, a sculpture of different woods weaved together; “Cause” by E. Carroll Hale II, a statue of chained slave; “Breeder’s Envy” by Zoé Strecker, a rendition of a Thoroughbred horse’s skeleton; “Shifting Landscape” by James Wade, a cast iron sculpture of a sack; “Naked Lunch” and “Metamorphosis” by Hunter Stamp, two odd, kind of grotesque but also intriguing pieces; “Loss” by Bettye Brookfield, a human form that looks anguished; “Drive-By” by Jack Girard, a multi-media piece that seems to deal with construction; “Beacon,” also by Ted Lott; and “Poise” by Luke Achterberg, a fluid, vibrant sculpture of painted steel.

This exhibit will be open for the rest of November. You may not end up liking all of the sculptures, but observing them, forming your own interpretations and reading the artists’ statements is definitely a worthwhile experience.