Cyrus’ album does not twerk out

By Hannah Krieger
A&E Editor

Source: google.com.

Source: google.com.

Miley Cyrus released her newest album, “Bangerz,” earlier this month. Cyrus also collaborates with some well-known artists including: Britney Spears, Nelly, Future, Big Sean and French Montana. It is likely that she felt the need to incorporate so many other names in her album to ensure the success of some of the songs. However, Cyrus probably should have considered the other components that make an album worth listening to, like lyrics, music and singing.

For starters, the album itself is called “Bangerz.” Obviously, bangerz is not even a real word (although it obviously alludes to something else), so I didn’t have high hopes to see what lyrics Cyrus decided to write.

In my opinion, the lyrics are what make a song. The singer’s voice and instruments are great and help a song to truly shine, but lyrics are what makes the song relatable. When I looked up the lyrics to the album I was horrified. What I was looking at should have never been written down.

Ernest Hemingway once said, “Write drunk, edit sober.” Cyrus may have taken his words a little too seriously — and also skipped the editing. Repetitive phrases of no meaning can be found in nearly all of her songs.

The former Disney star is clearly trying to get away from all things pure as nearly every song has a smattering of curse words along with sexual references that feel like a rough draft of a Danielle Steele novel. The songs obviously are a plea for attention and are Cyrus’ way of showing that she is an adult. However, her childishly put together lyrics tell another story entirely.

The music on the album is nothing to be excited about. It clearly sounds like most of the instruments were made through the computer. Of the songs I listened to, I could not discern what actual instruments were being put into use to provide such noise. Also, the music has to be obnoxious because it has to cover up Cyrus’ voice and the unappealing lyrics.

At this point in her career, Cyrus should have learned how to sing and to stay on pitch. However, I was disappointed to hear that her voice has not changed for the better, but rather has become much worse. Cyrus tries to rap, sing on helium (“sms”) and just sing through the album but falls flat (literally) whenever she can. Cyrus’ voice is also heavily dubbed and she still sounds awful. The one song on the album that might have had potential was “Adore You,” but Cyrus sang it so slowly that I quickly lost interest.

Honestly, I did my best to review this album as fairly as I could. I gave Miley a clean slate when I first started listening to songs and looking up lyrics; however, that slate quickly tarnished with the more songs I heard.

When “Wrecking Ball” is probably the best song considering lyrics, voice and music, it’s obvious that no one should waste their time listening to the album. There are so many great artists out there that know what true music is, so go discover them for yourselves