Student questions the Caf

By Collin Smith
Photo Editor

thor Student questions the Caf

Source: quickmeme.com

The population of the city of Georgetown has boomed over 60 percent in the last 15 years, making it one of the fastest growing cities in Kentucky. We are seeing the benefits of this as we gain new restaurants such as Chick-Fil-A, Zaxby’s, and now Qdoba and Buffalo Wild Wings, that have come to Georgetown just in the last four years. But maybe this has less to do with population boom as it does with the growing hunger of Georgetown College students.

Despite us all being poor college students, we somehow use most of our spending money on food. The freshmen all have 19 meals a week and most upperclassmen opt for the 15 meal/$400 Tiger Dollar Meal plan, so it seems shocking that we go hungry. Every evening the parking spots of the various lots on campus are vacant as students go off campus in search of sustenance. The reason behind our avid support of the food industry of Georgetown is the Caf’s pathetic offerings known as “food.” Lately, the offerings of food made by the Caf have been pretty bleak.

In my time here at Georgetown, I’ve learned to avoid the Caf after lunch on Friday and before dinner on Sunday. The Caf is not to be trusted on the weekends. This past Sunday’s meal can be seen in Figure 1. I thought that this meal marked a new low for the Caf. Following this meal a surprisingly large number of students could be seen standing in a line writing comment cards.

Through the years, I have had many opportunities to eat in the Caf for “atypical” meals. The Caf has demonstrated its ability to make good and nutritious food at Tiger Preview Days, holiday meals, such as Mardi Gras and Thanksgiving, and Greek Banquet. The Caf will often cater banquets for various organizations and teams on campus, and these meals are quite good. Being aware of the potential the Caf has, it saddens me that the quality of food is so low. Meals are either over or under cooked, the quality of meat is sometimes questionable and the salad line leaves a lot to be desired. I appreciate the wide range of options the Caf offers, but I personally would prefer quality over quantity.