Student enjoys Woodland Art Fair

By Leanndra W. Padgett

Copy Editor

woodland arts fair Student enjoys Woodland Art Fair

Source: lexingtonfamily.com.

The weekend before classes started back, some friends and I were meeting up in Lexington and looking for something to do. After googling “things to do in Lexington + Aug 17,” I came across what would turn out to be the perfect event – the Woodland Art Fair. I didn’t know what to expect and suggested it to my friends with the disclaimer that I had no idea if it would be worth our time or not. Once we got there, I immediately found that my fears were in vain. The Woodland Art Fair is an annual event (nearing its 40th anniversary) put on by the Lexington Arts League and Parks and Recreation. Held downtown in Woodland Park (East High Street), the fair consists of hundreds of booths rented by local artists and food venders. Interactive exhibits, family stations and live bands made the park come alive.

Through the afternoon, I saw my fair share of photography, sculptures, ceramics, wood carvings, prints, paintings and jewelry. There were unique items for sale that I can’t imagine anyone using as well as things that looked like they would fit into any family’s living room. From bonsai trees to handmade necklaces, there was something for everyone. For me, the best part of the event was its local flavor. From bourbon–flavored ice cream made at Crank and Boom to a multitude of horse photographs, the event was Kentucky through and through. People of all ages strolled along and enjoyed some great (and yes, some ridiculous pieces of) art in the sunshine. So next time you’re looking for something to do on a weekend in August, check out the Woodland Art Fair and witness some of the creative energy of central Kentucky.