Staff Spotlight: Kelly Shutter

By Hannah Kennedy

kelly Staff Spotlight: Kelly Shutter

Source: Ariel Sniegowski. Kelly Shutter has always wanted a job cooking, and she loves it here at Georgetown.

Whether you enjoy the Caf food or despise it, no one can disagree with the fact that we have an amazing staff.
Kelly Shutter is always interested in knowing how each student’s day has been, and is eager to encourage others. Although shy at first, Shutter shared some information about herself.

Question: Do you have any hobbies?
Answer: I like to cook, of course, and to read a lot of books. I do not have a favorite author, but I do really enjoy books with a good mystery. I could probably never pick a favorite book, but I am currently reading “Adventures of a Shopaholic.”

Question: What is your favorite part about working in the Caf?
Answer: The students are my favorite part! It is really nice being able to get to know everybody and form relationships with them. We are like the students’ family away from home. We try to take care of them, make sure they are fed well and help them out in other ways when we can.

Question: Would you like to share a random fact about yourself?
Answer: My random fact is that I am the youngest in my family. There are three of us. Everyone here knows my sister Kim, of course. Also, I am a huge country music fan, and I am extremely excited about the new Keith Urban album coming out on Tuesday!

Question: Do you cook when you are at home?
Answer: I do not cook as often now that I practically live here, but my sister and I usually do take turns cooking at home.

Question: What was your favorite cartoon as a kid?
Answer: “The Smurfs!”

Question: If you had a daily life philosophy what would it be?
Answer: Live each day to the fullest, because you never know how long you are going to have. Never take life for granted.

Question: What brought you here to Georgetown?
Answer: I worked in finance for fifteen years before I came to work here. I eventually just had a burn-out and decided that I did not want to do that anymore. You could call it a mid-life crisis, I guess. I moved here from New York last year to be with my family. I always knew that I wanted to be cooking in some regard, because I really do enjoy it a lot. However, when I took the job here it was not to cook, but that came about around the end of last year. I knew that I would have to start at the bottom. I began working at summer camps two years ago and then they offered me a full time job. Once they learned that I was a good worker I moved on up to the cooking job.