Senior Spotlight: Katie Jones

By Kaitlin Fahey

Katie Senior Spotlight: Katie Jones

Source: Katie Jones. Katie worked with children during her time with the Appalachian Service Project.

Having grown up in Jamestown, Ind., a small town west of Indianapolis, Katie Jones describes her decision to come to Georgetown College as a “leap of faith.” Katie had heard of the college from her cousin, women’s basketball head coach Andrea McCloskey, but was apprehensive about coming to Georgetown as a student. Now in her senior year, Katie speaks highly of her college experiences as she reflects on the memories she has made and the relationships she has formed.

Katie is a psychology and sociology double-major and is minoring in political science. After graduating from Georgetown, she plans to travel and do mission work before attending law school to work towards her J.D. in Family Law and her Master’s degree in Social Work. Katie’s plan includes becoming an adoption lawyer and, eventually, she would like to open an international orphanage and refugee program “where past-refugees can become empowered to…help others get back to somewhat of a sustainable lifestyle.”

During her time at Georgetown, Katie has been active in several clubs and activities from nearly all realms of campus. She plays for the women’s golf team, is a member of the Student Athlete Leadership Committee, and is the women’s basketball team manager. She is also a member of Sigma Kappa, Tiger Tunistas, Campus Outreach and sociology honor society Alpha Kappa Delta. This year, she is serving as the executive director for Dance Marathon Georgetown College, a nearly-19-hour-long event raising money for Kentucky Children’s Hospital.

Off-campus, Katie serves as an interim youth pastor at Calvary Baptist Church in Frankfort and interns at A Helping Hand Adoption Agency in Lexington several days a week. Additionally, during her summers as a college student, Katie has worked as a staffer with the Appalachia Service Project, a non-profit home repair ministry serving residents of Central Appalachia who live in substandard housing conditions. Between her summers as a staffer and as a high school volunteer, Katie has worked with over 2,000 volunteers and 50 families and describes her time with the Appalachia Service Project as “the best summer memories of my life…I could literally talk about it every day, and if you know me well enough, you know that I do.”

Though her schedule is busy, Katie loves to spend her free time playing guitar, taking pictures, and volunteering. Thinking back on some of her fondest memories at Georgetown College, she references “staying up way too late laughing and crying” with her Sigma Kappa sisters, being involved with DMGC, attending New Year’s Conference, being able to learn about her passions and forming lifelong friendships.

When asked what advice she would give to underclassmen at Georgetown, Katie says, “Cherish your time here…it truly does go by way too fast.”

She expresses gratitude for her own experiences, saying, “I cannot even wrap my mind around the fact that I will be leaving this place in May. This place has opened my eyes to the fact that I have an intense passion for service and a deep, genuine love for people. Without those late night study cram sessions for the next day’s test, not going to bed until 3 a.m. because a conversation just needed to happen, or being vulnerable with some of the sweetest and most genuine people I’ve ever met, I would not have figured out what my role in this world is going to be.”