Palimpset encourages new worldviews

By Hannah Kennedy

kim fink CS Palimpset encourages new worldviews

Source: Collin Smith. Fink’s work is meant to be interpreted as whole, although viewers can also appreciate individual works.

Dr. Seuss once said, “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Having little art background, I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at a piece of art. Artists allow those who view their works to have a glimpse into their minds that are full of passion and creative insight. This trust between the artist and the viewer leaves me feeling that I have a responsibility to understand what artists want to say through their work. I experienced this while exploring Kim Fink’s Palimpset exhibit currently on display in the Cochenour Gallery.

As I stepped foot into the exhibit, my eye was immediately drawn to the images on the left wall. This work is titled “The Weight of Sweetness (from blossoms).” There are four varying images aligned side by side with contrasting colors and moods. The one constant element in each image is the words written in red. At first glance the words on the images did not seem to be connected. I attempted to make sense of the words and images several times. Then I had an “aha!” moment.

As Dr. Seuss said, “Sometimes the answers are simple.” I discovered that it was all meant to be read left to right as a whole. Fink refers to his work as a personal diary. “The Weight of Sweetness (from blossoms)” seems to depict the image of a young memory. Perhaps we as viewers can relate to this memory.

Too often, individuals put on blinders to prevent seeing the death and chaos in this world. It is possible that, like a young child, we can enjoy simple days and live in happy moments. We can be ignorant of the suffering among us.

On the left wall, Fink has several other images. The largest one is complicated and full of smaller, almost hidden pictures. On this wall there are also some of his simpler works. There are six of Fink’s works on display in the Palimpset exhibit. Each piece is intriguing and loaded with cultural realities. He develops his works by gathering images and combining them. In his artist statement, Fink explained that the images are from various sources such as magazines, the newspaper and the internet. Fink’s goal is to, “infuse cultural realities that explore objective versus subjective visions and develop a synthesis between images and meaning.” The exhibit will remain in the Cochenour Gallery until Sept. 27. I encourage everyone to go check it out.Appreciate the glimpse into this artist’s imagination, and discover some interpretations of your own.