The clock says it’s time to go

By AUSTIN CONWAY
Contributing Writer

There exists a sad sense of irony within these words. As we reach the end I can’t help but feel like only now have I found what I always sought. Permit me, if you will, a moment of honest confession. I am what most would consider a “Townie,”someone who was born and raised in Georgetown. I attended Georgetown College, but I did not live here, choosing instead a very short commute from a very old house. My class schedule always went over the basic requirement of full time, so I found myself on campus frequently, often “working” on the usual computer, at the usual spot in the Fireside Room.

I like to think of myself as friendly and outgoing yet regrettably distant. In my eight previous semesters at Georgetown College I had only attended eight CEPs, now called Nexus events. As one would expect, it would be quite the struggle to obtain the other 40, yet through perseverance and dedication it was possible. An obstacle was overcome, and now one less hurtle has been jumped. I’m grateful for reaching the desired number but I’m also grateful for the events themselves, bringing into play things I have never known and people I had never met. Through my procrastination traditions were discovered and people were met; acquaintances became friends, friends became good friends. Regret is still present, specifically because it’s the end.

Sitting in my usual spot to type these thoughts I can’t help but be somewhat amused, when I first sat down in this chair I was 18, when I finally get up to leave I’ll be 23. Time is a constant; change is, too. I’ve seen buildings constructed, staff depart and policies change, all within the span of nine semesters. Regardless of how hard we fight against time, sooner or later things have to progress on.

When I think of the things I will miss, I will think often of the LRC, not the building itself but instead the staff who have put up with me for four plus years. The bricks stay, yet the people will leave. I’ll think about the modest Lab theatre and the white building that once stood by Anderson. I’ll remember the student center and all the times conversations were interrupted by staff alerting customers that their food was ready via the intercom.

Finally, I will think about you, my friends and peers. All you may not know me, but I guarantee most of you have seen me, sitting in the library, in the exact same spot. I wish we had more time together; I wish I had done things differently and perhaps spent my time here a little better. For all the talk about graduation and wanting to finally get to the “Real World” I have to confess, I kind of don’t want to go; I don’t want to leave. Your agenda and life are your own, yet please allow me this last little suggestion. For those who leave, look back on what you have done here with pride. College isn’t easy, nor should it be. Academics aside, it’s a test of character, something I think we all have successfully passed. The barriers are finally down; get what you want out of life, regardless of what it is or where it takes you.

For those who are staying, enjoy your time here. The toughest lesson I have learned here is that no one day is like any other, nor can anything be replicated or produced, no matter how we try to recreate the formula. It certainly is a cliché but it’s a true cliché. Enjoy the time that is given to you. These moments will never come again.

My “rant” is at an end, my article at a close. As I get up to leave “My Spot” I offer a simple “Thank you” and “Goodbye.” I might not have always had the most interesting things to say, but I greatly appreciate the ear you have offered. It’s time to go but don’t worry, as T.S. Eliot reminds us:
“What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from.”