SENIOR STAFF SPOTLIGHT: Evan Harrell

By ALLIE ENGLERT
Back Page Editor

Source: Evan Harrell Evan is thankful for his close friends and support group.

Source: Evan Harrell
Evan is thankful for his close friends and support group.

You may know Evan Harrell for his sensational dance moves or his keen sense of fashion. Originally from Middlesboro, Ky., the music education major says he chose Georgetown because he enjoyed the small town and “homey feel” Georgetown provides. “I felt welcomed as soon as I got here. After a few more visits, I knew Georgetown was the right choice for me.”

Evan has stayed busy throughout his time at Georgetown through taking part in a myriad of extracurricular activities on campus. Evan is a member of the President’s House Association, where he served as the group’s Alumni Chair and Music Chair. Likewise, Evan has enjoyed playing for both the Tiger Symphonic Band and the Fighting Tiger Grr… Pep Band. Additionally, Evan played a quintessential role in reviving Delta Omicron, a professional music fraternity, at Georgetown. Evan is a multi-talented individual. Not only is he musically gifted, he is also an exceptional writer. This gift led him to the role of Editor-in-Chief of The Georgetonian last year. When asked about his experiences Evan says, “These experiences have taught me a lot about myself and being a leader. They’ve also humbled me by showing me what I don’t know and uplifted me by affirming me in what I do know. I’m grateful beyond words for these experiences.”

Senior year has been quite eventful for Evan. “I was crowned homecoming king and I’m giving the senior class address at commencement. I’m deeply honored; knowing my fellow classmates chose me for the both of these is very moving.”

When asked about his plans for life after Georgetown, Evan says that at the moment he plans on looking for teaching jobs in the Lexington area. “Eventually, I hope to attend graduate school to study music theory and composition. Later on, I would like to be a college music professor and write music, possibly for films and musicals.”

Evan encourages underclassmen students to “find one thing you really enjoy doing and do it really well. It’s really easy to get involved at Georgetown–so easy that many people over-commit. But if you can find your niche and devote your time to that one thing, it will change your college experience forever.” Evan also encourages Tigers to invest in deep, meaningful friendships. “Also, find your support group and hold on to them. It’s common to have 900 friends on Facebook, but how many people could you call who would rush to your side in a heartbeat? My close friends have made all the difference in the world. They know who they are.”

Evan is thankful for his parents’ constant support and encouragement over the years. He also wanted to give a shout out to his younger sister, Rebekah. He hopes that one day she, too, will become a Tiger.