SENIOR STAFF SPOTLIGHT: Corey Howell

By ETHAN SMITH
Opinion Editor

Source: Corey Howell Corey came to GC because, “It felt like home.”

Source: Corey Howell
Corey came to GC because, “It felt like home.”

Corey Howell is a graduating senior majoring in English with a minor in chemistry.

When asked why he came to Georgetown College, he said, “It was between coming to Georgetown and going to UK. Ultimately I decided to come to Georgetown because, though it was the same distance away, it felt more like home. The small classrooms and just smaller environment overall made for an easy transition from high school and just a better learning environment that fit me better. I also thought the community feel would be beneficial since this would be my first big move away from home.”

While at Georgetown College, Corey was a member of the English Honors society Sigma Tau Delta, a member of The Georgetonian staff and assisted Dr. Ed Smith with film projects around campus. Corey notes that, “These experiences helped me make some great friends. And beyond that, they have helped me discover what I want to do with my life and have given me or improved the skills I need to succeed. I originally thought I wanted to go to medical school and become a doctor. But through my experiences here, my love of film was re-lit.”

His favorite memory as a Georgetown student was his experience at Oxford. He says, “When I first came here I didn’t even know it (Oxford) was an option. Then, once I did, I didn’t think there was any way I’d ever get to go. Somehow it all worked out, however, and I spent this past Michaelmas term there. I gained so much from my time at Oxford. Meeting new and wonderful people, seeing great sights, improving, all around, my academic skills and, perhaps most importantly, gaining a kind of confidence in myself that I can kind of strike out on my own and accomplish anything I set my mind to.”

After graduation, Corey plans to take a year off, saying, “I don’t know exactly what’s next for me, but I will definitely be taking the GRE and applying to graduate school. I also hope to be able to shoot the short film I wrote this semester soon, with the idea of possibly sending that in to graduate film schools for directing. Either way, I hope I can go to film school for either cinema studies or directing.”

As for the people who helped make his experience, Corey says, “I guess I just want to say thanks to all my friends and professors, both here and at Oxford, for making my four years as a college undergrad unforgettable. If I had any advice to new undergrads, it would be to just try new things and find something you love. And, most importantly, don’t let what you think others think of you pressure you into becoming someone you don’t want to be. By realizing that my goal of being a doctor was actually the goal that others had placed upon me rather than something I actually wanted, and by rediscovering my love of film, Georgetown has really helped me get on the path to doing something I truly love. I also just want to give one last shout-out to Elizabeth. She’s been putting up with me for the greater part of six years and I love her more than she’ll ever know.”