Student touches on Biblical literalism

By ZAC LOSEY
Contributing Writer

Due to recent events on this campus, I can no longer hold my tongue. Activism blatantly advocating abominations is becoming too strong, and I feel that I am obligated to put an end to it. However, before I begin I must clarify some assumptions in arguments I will present. The first is that the King James Bible is the wholly complete, God-breathed, infallible, inerrant, total and completely authoritative word of God. In its entirety the Bible is, as the Apostle Paul states, “useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16). Because of this I must implore my fellow students along with the administration, faculty, staff and others who care about Georgetown College to heed the commands of the Holy Scriptures and end the horrendous practices that are running rampant all around us.

On multiple occasions, I have been horrified to enter the Caf and find food that the Lord has called “detestable.” I am of course referring to shellfish. In the book of Leviticus God makes it quite clear that shrimp and crayfish “you shall not eat” (Leviticus 11:10). What grieves me even more deeply is that these unclean foods are often served in conjunction with the celebration of the pagan festival of Mardi Gras, which is also clearly forbidden (Deuteronomy 12:29-32). How is it that we have allowed these blatantly rebellious and idolatrous practices continue at a supposedly Christian college? It’s simply unbelievable.

As much as it pains me to continue to point out our depravity, I must, for there aremany more commands of the Lord that are simply ignored at this supposedly Christian school. We all know that in six days God was able to create the marvelous universe we see around us, and on the seventh day he rested. Because of this we are commanded multiple times not to work on Sundays, for “the seventh is a Sabbath to the Lord your God” (Exodus 20:8-11; also see Deuteronomy 5:12-15; Hebrews 4:9). In spite of these numerous statements that make it clear that we shall not labor on the Sabbath, I have many a time seen not only students, faculty and staff working but also administrators, including Dr. Crouch himself. How detestable it is that the college tolerates this blatant defiance of the Lord’s commands!

It doesn’t end there though. Abominations are everywhere. Not only are vegetarians allowed, but we cater to them with their own line in the cafeteria! Our illustrious Apostle Paul clearly states that “the weak eat only vegetables,” and thus we must strive to be strong followers and eat meat as well (Romans 14:1-2). Perhaps our friends at Sodexo would do well to take note of Scripture and stop defiling our eating areas.

I regret that I must also now speak to the poor quality of athletes as they are seen in the sight of the Lord. Their achievements on the field, court or wherever else they compete are nothing if they do not glorify the Lord in their lives— which is clearly not the case I’m afraid. With complete ignorance of the Bible, virtually every athlete has become an embarrassment to our institution by breaking the Lord’s commands and trimming their beards, sometimes shaving altogether (Leviticus 19:27)! Likewise, by defiling themselves with the wickedness of tattoos they set a poor standard for the rest of the student body while they blatantly disregard God’s statutes (Leviticus 19:28).

I am unfortunately limited in space, but I cannot end without bringing to your attention two more horrific practices which take place here at Georgetown College. First is one of our most egregious offenses, one that still makes me cringe and weep whenever I think about it. I mean no disrespect to the operators of our apparel store, let me be clear. But the Lord has made it devastatingly clear that we must not “put on a garment made of two different materials” (Leviticus 19:19), and yet I must tell you that virtually all of the clothing sold in the store is a cotton-polyester blend. Abominations know no end here. Lastly I must point to an issue that some will find touchy subject, but it must be done. The Lord makes it clear that women are not to be in positions of power over men just as men are beneath Christ (1 Corinthians 11:3). The fact that Dr. Rosemary Allen is the Provost/Dean of the college goes directly against what the Lord has commanded. Not only that, but she is allowed to speak during opening convocation in the Chapel, which is yet again dismissive of scripture (1 Corinthians 14:34-35)!

This is why I support the Biblical version of marriage (Deuteronomy 22:28-29). As the Scriptures themselves state, all parts of the Bible are equally authoritative (2 Timothy 3:16; Matthew 5:17-19; Luke 16:17; John 7:19) and we must therefore strive to live out its commands every day in all aspects of our lives. If we believe that ALL of God’s word is to be heeded, then we mustn’t pick and choose what we will follow— we must continually follow— each of the commands because they are all EQUALLY authoritative and useful. Not only that: it is of the utmost importance that we ensure that others are obeying these Scriptures as well.