Staff responds to “Dr. White outs himself”

By: SCOTT SWITZER
Contributing Writer

You’ll need your Bible for this…

In my daily life I strive for the meek approach.  I tend to let the increasing depravity and hopelessness of this world glide over me, telling myself that I am doing well to mind my own spiritual household.  If I am able to go to bed at night feeling that I have, for the day, kept myself “unstained by the world” (James 1:27), it is a good day.  Nonetheless, I occasionally cross paths with notions so grievously offensive to the kingdom of heaven that I have no choice but to offer an immediate and decisive defense of my faith.  It should be of no surprise to any Bible-believing Christian that Dr. Homer White’s March 22nd opinion piece has brought me to such an occasion.

Before I begin my defense, I have to lay out some groundwork.  First, I believe that the Bible is the inspired, infallible word of God.  Second, I believe that ALL scripture is equally valid and applicable (2 Timothy 3:16).  I am offering this disclaimer early in the argument to make it clear that I will not be entertaining any alternative theories or modern “revelations” that point to anything extra-Biblical or non-canonical.  I believe that the Bible is self-evident and complete.  This is the basis of my argument and if you find this offensive or nonsensical you may stop reading now.

Thank you for your time.

Still with me?  Good.  The rest of my defense is simple.  The Bible goes to some length to state that homosexuality is sinful.  How sinful?  Words like “abomination” (Leviticus 18:22) are used to describe the practice in the Mosaic law.  Not an Old Testament fan?  Read 2 Timothy 3:16 again, and then head on over to Romans 1:23.  The Apostle Paul makes it clear in no uncertain terms that homosexuality is contraindicative to growth as a Christian.  As if that were not enough, he goes on to sum it up with 1 Corinthians 6:9-10.  Based on Biblical terms, homosexual relations (as well as a myriad of other sexual immoralities) are not condoned (or even tolerated) by a righteous God.

Sure, I get it… Moses and Paul have weighed in on the issue, but let’s say you’re the kind of person who isn’t satisfied unless it comes from the mouth of Jesus Christ himself -Read Matthew 19:4-6.  In this passage, Jesus is restating and expounding on earlier scripture from the dawn of creation (Genesis 2:24) that explicitly states “male” and “female” become one flesh. While it could be argued that the “husband and wife” roles need not be sexually dimorphic, the example of becoming “one flesh” (and the physical requirements of such a proposition) bear enough scrutiny to be elaborated on yet a third time  in Ephesians 5:22-32.

OK, fine -We’ve established that homosexuality is a sin as far as the Bible is concerned, but since we’re all sinners here, why can’t we just chalk this one up to mankind’s “fallen nature” and allow same-sex marriages for the sake of tolerance?  To answer that question, we have to go back to the beginning -Genesis 2:21-24,  God takes a rib from the Man (Adam) and uses it to create the Woman (Eve). It is stated that Eve is “bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man” (ESV).  Eve was taken from Adam; that is, a part was taken from Adam to create Eve.  Adam is therefore incomplete without Eve; together, they are one flesh.  This was the beginning of marriage as intended by God; one man, one woman joined indistinguishably forever.

Finally, I would like to address a recurring theme with Dr. White’s opinion, the “salvific” quality of physical intimacy.  I can only assume that such assertions (namely that sexual intercourse is tantamount to fervent prayer or fasting) are only offered in jest; nonetheless the consummate evangelical in me will not allow me to end my defense without articulating the true means of salvation:   Confessing the name of Jesus Christ  and the power of His saving grace, repenting of your sins and following Jesus.

I do not wish to end this discussion without clarifying that the redemptive power of Jesus’ blood is more than powerful enough to wash away any transgressions, including all forms of sexual immorality.  True Christians serve a loving God whose grace and mercy endures forever.  If you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Savior and would like to know more about Him, please contact the Campus Ministry at  www.georgetowncollege.edu
/campusministry/.