SENIOR SPOTLIGHT: Meredith Rigby

By ALLIE ENGLERT
Back Page Editor

Meredith Rigby photo SENIOR SPOTLIGHT: Meredith Rigby

Source: Meredith Rigby
A senior music major from Richmond, Ky., Meredith plays the piano and is involved in a variety of campus organizations.

Meredith Rigby has lived in several areas of the United States, but she claims that Richmond, Ky., has been her favorite city to call “home.” In fact, it was Georgetown College’s close proximity to Richmond that first sparked Meredith’s interest in attending GC. She says, “I liked the size of the campus. I wasn’t interested in a large school at all. Plus, there was just something about Georgetown that seemed ‘homey.’”

The music major with an emphasis in piano performance has busied her college career as a leader with a plethora of extracurricular activities. Meredith has been president of the Music Teachers National Association. In addition, Meredith is a member of the music fraternity, Delta Omicron, and the English honors society, Sigma Tau Delta. She is a staff writer for The Georgetonian and can be found working in GC’s writing center. Currently, Meredith is teaching piano to one student, and the accomplished pianist has taught other students in the past. Also, Meredith recently began playing piano for Crittendon Baptist Church. “I play the hymns each Sunday, and I accompany the choir during their rehearsals and special performances.”

As if her major does not attest to her passion for music, it is Meredith’s goal to one day learn how to play every single musical instrument at least “a little bit,” as she says. “I’ve played piano for twelve years, and I can also play the trumpet, cello, guitar, drums and other percussion instruments.” In her spare time, you might find Meredith listening to two of her favorite artists, Regina Spektor, and British singer, Katie Melua.

When asked about her  fond est memories of life at Georgetown, Meredith reflected on the semester she spent studying abroad at Oxford University’s Regent’s Park College. While in England, Meredith pursued her minor by studying English literature. Afterwards she had the opportunity to travel Europe with her friend and roommate, Rachael Castillo.  “Studying at Oxford has definitely been one of the best memories of my life,” she claims. Meredith believes all Georgetown students should consider studying abroad during their undergraduate career.

After graduation, Meredith hopes to teach abroad. If teaching doesn’t work out, she plans to pursue music. “I would love to set up my own piano studio and teach piano lessons for a company.” Regardless of what the next chapter of her life brings, Meredith’s passion for travel, music and experience as a leader on GC’s campus is certain to make her future endeavors successful.