SENIOR SPOTLIGHT: Kari Steffen

By ALLIE ENGLERT
Back Page Editor

SENIOR SPOTLIGHT: Kari Steffen

The Georgetonian/KATI WILSON
Kari Steffen is obsessed with the “Scream” and “Harry Potter” series and loves her fiancé Zack Robke.

Kari Steffen is one of the many treasured gems of Georgetown’s Senior Class. Originally from Taylor Mill, Ky., Kari decided to pursue her education at Georgetown because she enjoyed the informational fliers she received from GC in the mail more than any other school. “I also loved the small atmosphere, and Julie Sams was an awesome admissions counselor.”

The psychology and communications double major has busied herself with a plethora of extracurricular activities over the past four years. A member of Phi Mu, Kari served on the sorority’s Executive Council as secretary. Also, she was a proud Freshmen Family Group parent and spent her sophomore year happily married to Corey Moran. Currently, Kari is the Psych Bowl team captain, is a PHA Lil’ Sis, and currently holds three jobs on campus. Despite her overloaded schedule, Kari has maintained a 3.9 GPA. “It would have been 4.0 if it weren’t for History 111.”

In her spare time, Kari loves to grab dinner at her favorite restaurant, Raising Cane’s. The avid animal lover enjoys looking up cute animals on Pet Finder. “It’s sad,” she laughs, “but it’s what I do in my spare time. I just love looking up pictures of cute things… puppies, kittens, any animal will do.” Kari also enjoys reading and listening to all genres of music. She recommends that everyone read “Crazy Love” by Francis Chan. Kari also enjoys spending time with her dear friends Rachel Woodall and Monica Lincoln, her little, Erin Wentworth, and her roommate of four years, Beth Sturgill.

When asked to explain how much Erin values her friendship with Kari, she says, “Kari has one of the kindest souls of anyone I know. Her love of Jesus is infectious and she is such an encourager. She’s always there when I need a laugh during an all-nighter, words of wisdom when I’m struggling and chocolate chip cookies when I’m hungry.”

After graduating in May, Kari plans to attend graduate school at either EKU or NKU. “I plan on getting my masters degree in school counseling, but am unsure of what school I’ll end up attending. I want to be a counselor at either an elementary or middle school.” Kari is also looking forward to marrying her high school sweetheart Zack Robke on Aug. 1.
In 10 years, Kari sees herself living with her husband, Zach, in either Lexington or Taylor Mill. She hopes to be a successful counselor by that point with a pet cat named Regis.

When asked to offer advice to fellow Georgetown students, Kari encourages her peers to realize that although school is important, students should focus on investing in others as much as their studies. She also says, “If you live life without high expectations you will experience many more surprises and less disappointment.”