Avoid a disservice to yourself

By ETHAN SMITH
Opinion Editor

These are uncertain times we live in.  Our nation has a lot of issues that need attention from capable leaders.  Similarly, our college has many issues that need to be dealt with efficiently.  The nation has thrown its lot in with the incumbent president, and the school must also make decisions towards finding a new president and administrators.

One day over break, I was pondering the future of our school and realized that our student body, more often than not, does a disservice to itself when it comes to our relationship with the administration.  Since I first set foot on campus, I noticed a few things, one being that everyone loves the professors.  Most of us can name a professor or two who we weren’t big fans of, but on the whole, we are satisfied with the education we receive and our relationships with the faculty.  We also love the staff, who are often cheerful and enjoy interacting with the students.  The thing I hear students complain about most are decisions made by the administration.

I found it odd that students who paid to attend one of the more expensive schools in the state complained so much but saw little change.  I’ve also heard that not all of the school’s faculty were satisfied with the administration’s decisions.  It seems to me that in most business arrangements changes would have been enacted more quickly and compromisingly.  In my eyes we students are the consumers of a product (Georgetown College’s education) and the faculty are the producers.  Often, if the producers, workers and consumers are dissatisfied with a product or its production, the company will change its process.  For example, if workers or producers are unhappy with their work conditions, the company will try to appease them, lest they lose skilled members.  If people don’t like how a product is made, they complain about it, and the producers and companies respond.  When the fact that Nike utilized child labor came to light, people were outraged.  In response, Nike tried to reduce or eliminate the use of child-labor to make a more ethical product.

However, from what I’ve seen, that’s not how things work here, and I don’t know why.  This is the disservice I believe we students bring upon ourselves; we don’t understand the chain of authority on this campus.  When decisions are made that we dislike, we get angry without ever bothering to understand how the decision was reached or who conceived it.  More often than not we’ve belly-ached and used the president as a scapegoat, which is unfair to both him and ourselves, because there are more people making decisions than just Dr. Crouch, and it does nothing to help ourselves.  While I am a senior, and my time on this campus is growing shorter every day, I want to understand how things work at my school, and what we the students must do to make our voices heard with the most effect. Who is in charge of what? If we don’t like how they are running things, how do we get them to change?  I hope more of us will show inquisitiveness instead of rage, and become proactive members of a school that I truly love.