STAFF SPOTLIGHT: Dr. Lisa Eddy

By HANNAH KENNEDY

Georgetown College offers an amazing education program. However, the program would not be worth a dime without the hard work and commitment of the instructors of the education department. Today I spoke with Dr. Lisa Eddy from the education department. She has been a proud member of the department here at Georgetown for two years now. She loves what she does and it shows.

Q: What led you to your decision to work here at Georgetown College?
A: I moved here at the end of July a few years ago with my husband. He had just been offered a job here. Unfortunately, he became very ill shortly after. He was a non-smoker with Lung Cancer. As his condition got worse I wanted to be closer to my son who was enrolled here at Georgetown College. I took a teaching job in Fayette county. I was a middle school math teacher and I really loved it. I have taught high school as well but I have to admit that middle school was my favorite. I was really interested in why the brain works differently, how some students simply believed that they could not do math, while others loved it.  I began working toward my doctorate at UK. With the loss of my husband and balancing school and a job, the work felt like too much at times. I almost quit, but with some encouragement from my professor I decided to stick to it. I knew that was what my husband would have wanted me to do. While at church I unexpectedly ran into a faculty member here at Georgetown. I was offered the job, and luckily it worked out. I am very thankful. It  is funny though, how things turned out. I came here originally because of my husband. I have now worked here longer than my husband did. My office is right down the hall from where his was. It is really interesting to look back at your life and see how it turns out. It’s really funny isn’t it?

Q: I noticed that you were at the last showing of “Wonderboy” Sunday night.  Did you enjoy the play?
A: Oh I loved it! It was delightful. I thought they were hilarious. It was not what I expected at all. I expected something extremely syfy based on the posters I had seen. But it was just so good! They were all just so engaged in what they were doing. I’ve been to a lot of his other plays here at Georgetown College. The best Shakespeare production I have ever seen was right here on this campus. It was  “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” I had seen many before, but it topped them all.

Q: What is the best thing about working at Georgetown College?
A: When I was planning to go back and get my doctorate, I would drive through the campus all the time and just dream about it. Could it be possible? Could I really get my doctorate? So I know I got really lucky. My favorite thing about the college is the students. They are so accessible, and by that I mean open. They are open to sharing opinions, to challenges, to talking, experiencing new things and more.  I think that they are smart, which makes them accessible. It makes them interesting. I have learned a lot from them.  I love the kind of students Georgetown attracts and keeps. I am also so very impressed by all of the people in our department.  There is a high level of commitment and thinking outside of the box. It is a very hopeful place.

Q: Do you have a favorite movie?
A: My favorite movie is “A Room with a View.”  It is based on a book written by E.M. Forster. It was one of Tim Burton’s wife’s first roles in a movie. It has everything in it. It is long, and if you like action and modern themes you may not like it. But I laugh and I laugh. It’s about how she figures out who she is and who she isn’t, while coming to terms with an engagement. It’s about staying true to who you are.

Q: What is your favorite book?
A:  My favorite is Joan Didian’s “A Year of Magical Thinking.”

Q: What is a favorite memory of yours?
A: It was tradition for us to watch “The Muppet Christmas Carol” every Christmas Eve. My kids still watch it with their families. They say it’s tradition.

Q: Do you have any goals for the Education Department this coming semester?
A: I have been working on making meaningful partnerships with the schools. It is a goal in my class to develop that more. It is meaningful for our students and our schools. We already have it and it is wonderful. This semester it went great. It was a great experience across the board for everybody. But there are flaws to work out and make it stronger. It is really important to me. We are  all working on it together.  We want to not only help the students find a job but also a career that they find a appreciation in and are appreciated.

Dr. Eddy is looking forward to spending time with her family over Christmas break. She will be helping her daughter and son-in-law move, and she cannot wait to see her two granddaughters. “I may be a little biased, but they are adorable,” she says.  Dr. Eddy showed me pictures as she spoke about them. She is a proud grandmother. She is the only grandparent that they have still living, and she does her best to visit often. I really appreciated Dr. Eddy sharing her time with me on such short notice. She was really fun to talk to and very sweet. If you are a student in the education department she would be great for getting some pointers.