Thankful in November: Students share their reasons for giving thanks

By ALLIE ENGLERT
Just a small town girl

This Tiger is ready for Thanksgiving.

“Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion’s starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don’t see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere…If you look for it, I’ve got a sneaking suspicion… love actually is all around.”

This quote from the British film, “Love Actually” resonates with this writer particularly during the holiday season. Often, it is easy to be consumed by the unfortunate circumstances of our world. Our school and our country have both recently experienced various levels of dissonance based on political disagreements. The Georgetown community wonders what changes will be made after Dr. Crouch retires in June. Moreover, a crazed American citizen, angry by the results of the presidential election, has even decided that now is an opportune time for states to secede from the Union, causing a roar of unrest throughout our country. Although we may find ourselves divided by political parties and our opinions on hot topic issues, we can unite this holiday season over the opportunity to be thankful. While this writer is not insinuating that we should be blind to the problems affecting Georgetown and the rest of the world, for the moment, we should focus on what we have to be thankful for this November.

Though both our college and our country have weathered several tumultuous events over the last few months, we as Georgetown Tigers have plenty of reasons to be thankful. We may all come from different backgrounds, but Thanksgiving gives us the opportunity to be thankful for all that we have. If nothing else, we are united by our privilege to live in a free country. We have the opportunity to pursue a degree at GC. We are privileged that while at Georgetown, we are taught by incredible professors whose primary goal is to help their students succeed both academically and outside of the classroom. This writer readily admits that it’s easier to focus on the negative aspects of the world around her, but I have to agree with the above quote. I have a sneaking suspicion that each of us has reasons to be thankful.

And if you don’t know, now you know, Tigas.

“I am thankful for the outstanding community I find at Georgetown College which encourages me and provides me outstanding opportunities—including the opportunity to study abroad twice.” -Jonathan Balmer

“I’m thankful for our troops and good friends.”
-Whitney Metcalfe

“I’m thankful for not living in a country that legally punishes gay people with the death sentence.”
-Owen Kahafer

“I’m thankful for never having to feel want. I don’t have to want, because I’ve always had what I’ve needed.” -Sarah Parker

“I’m thankful for Texas melts from Waffle House.”
-Lauren Kelly