Get to know your art faculty: student interviews Laura Stewart

By HANNAH KENNEDY

laura stewart 300x225 Get to know your art faculty: student interviews Laura Stewart

The Georgetonian / HANNAH KENNEDY
Featured above is Laura Stewart.

Anyone who has walked through any of the art galleries here on the Georgetown campus has most likely seen Laura Stewart. Her welcoming smile can brighten anyone’s day.  She enjoys discussing the items and works in the exhibit with students.  She will listen to the ideas of others and share her own. Each work can mean a million things, and Laura seems to love that.  I had the opportunity to interview Laura this week.  I had a great time and she had a lot to share.

Q:  How did you discover your passion for art?
A:  I have two outstanding memories of the development of my interest in art. When I was young my mom took me to Chicago to see the works of Degas. I remember going through the art institution and seeing all of the beautiful paintings. The slick painted materials and brochures that we received really caught my eye. I remember thinking it would be cool to work in a museum and make fancy brochures. The other time I really found my interest was during my undergraduate schooling. I was actually interested in law school. However, I was working on an English major and it required two humanities classes. I took the classes and the wonderful images amazed me. I thought it would be great if I could do it for a career.

Q:  Where did you attend school?
A:  University of Kentucky

Q:  Why did you choose to work at Georgetown? What do you like best about working here?
A:  I like the fact that we have a permanent collection. They are like a museum, so that goes with my back ground.  We also have temporary ones so I get to meet new artists.  I enjoy the new projects.

Q:  What is the best project you’ve had this year?
A:  I think the sofa one will be the neatest. Last year the faculty one was amazing. Our plan is to alternate every year between faculty and inviting students.  Sofa will include the whole art department. It is a student showing and will open on Nov. 30.  The panel discussion is a Nexus event.  Sofa will have exhibitions of visual arts by undergraduate students who were nominated by fine art faculty. They are from all over Kentucky.  This year we have two students from Georgetown participating.  Also we have our Gray Lion’s exhibit going on.  It closes next Wednesday.

Q:  Do you have any hobbies?
A:  I am a big gardener.  I just grow some flowers and herbs.  This past weekend I cleaned it all up.  There is work to do almost all year.

Q:  What is your favorite kind of music?
A:  I dance so I love dance music! I love all music, but I tend to like a beat that I can dance to more.

Q:  Do you have any hidden talents?
A:  I swam competitively most of my younger years. As long as you don’t drown; that’s the key.
This author encourages students to stop by the art gallery and catch Laura. She is great to talk to. Together you both can gain new perspectives on the art works.