STAFF SPOTLIGHT: Michelle Lynch

A student interviewed one of GC’s newer additions, Michelle Lynch, who works with Admissions in Enrollment Management.

By CAMERON NIXON

Source: Michelle Lynch
Michelle (on left) encourages students to share their Georgetown stories with her over lunch in the Caf. Here she is with basketball star Tom Burleson (right).

Q: Where are you from?

A: I started out as an admissions counselor at Winthrop University. Since then, I’ve worked at five colleges in residence life, student activities and different areas of admissions. I got into admissions because I was a tour guide, and I loved when students would come back and say, “You were my tour guide!” I came to Georgetown on July 9.

Q: Why did you choose to come to Georgetown College?

A: It was really important for me to work with good people doing good things. I was really happy at Winthrop, but I felt like my skills and talents could help another institution.  I only wanted to go to a place where  I could be a part of a community. When I interviewed here I felt that I could.

Q: What do you like best about your job?

A: I love that every day is different, and I love that the people that I work with—faculty, staff, admission office, tour guides—are so helpful and excited for what we’re going to do together. I love the energy and being part of something that’s transformational.

Q: What new things have you brought to the job so far?

A: The focus for my new initiative has been centered on the campus visit, so when they tour or come toward a Tiger Preview Day families have a very authentic and memorable experience. There are many layers that we’ve added so that when people visit, they authentically experience what it means to be a student here.

Q: Where would you like to see the school in three years?

A: Three years is enough time to implement our short-term goals and make big progress on our long term ones. I’d love to see us have an admissions staff that is so highly trained and successful that they are being recruited by other colleges, and to have tour guides so successful at what they do that we’re recruiting them to be admission counselors.

Q: So far, what is your best memory you’ve had here at Georgetown College?

A: I was so happy when Ms. Joe prepared my lunch. She knew that I was new and told me how to order my tortellini with the half-and-half sauce. So I loved being welcomed into the traditions of the Caf. My office, the staff in particular, is phenomenal. They’re everything that admissions counselors should be, and they did everything they could to make my first day memorable. In terms of the community, it’s been a long time since I’ve lived in a small town, and people recognizing me in my first week at Wal-Mart was really special. I come from a larger suburban town, so it was nice to be a part of the community again.

Q: Has the job been exciting so far?

A: It has been! I didn’t realize it, but in the process of finding excitement, I realized I was complacent and things had gotten a little stale before. I love the energy and enthusiasm at Georgetown. I’ve been very happy here. I think I’ve found a good place to do good things.

Q: What kind of music do you listen to?

A: I have eclectic taste. I’m a child of the 80s, my favorite band is Cake and my favorite singer is Sting. My Pandora collection and iPod playlists are crazy.

Q: What are some hobbies that you really like to take part in?

A: I golf, scuba dive and snow ski. I love to travel; absolutely love it. If I am not working, I am traveling. And, I have a dog, so she receives a good bit of my attention now. I’ve just started running as well. I lead a pretty active life. I try to make sure that for as hard as I work I play equally hard.

Q: What would you like readers to know about yourself that you haven’t already mentioned?

I would love to get to know more people in the community. I eat lunch in the Caf every day. If you want to be one of those people that tell me their unique Georgetown stories, I’d love to hear stories from our faculty and students.