“Sinister” is positively sinister

By KATE DOCTOR

sinister1 202x300 “Sinister” is positively sinister

“Sinister” focuses on an author who discovers how and why a family was murdered in his home, risking his own family.

I would just like to point out that I absolutely love horror movies. When I was younger, I didn’t like them very much because they, well, scared me. As I’ve gotten older though, they have become less frightening and more enticing. The morbid storylines and supernatural beings in the movies fascinate and horrify me all at the same time. This was the difference between a peaceful Saturday night alone and one where I wanted to be around a lot of people—because I knew that the killer wouldn’t be able to get me then. I would like to see them try.

This past Saturday I went to see “Sinister,” a movie that I’ve had my eye on for a while. I kept seeing the commercial for the movie on TV, and it looked  intriguing. But, at the same time, I had this fear that it would be full of the Hollywood horror movie clichés that run rampant in many of the horror movies  today. This fear was especially driven by the fact that the primary setting is a house that appears to be haunted by some sort of entity.

I walked into the movie theatre with my uncle, not knowing what exactly to expect. I was hoping for a movie that would put me in an uncomfortable, paranoid state for the rest of the night. As I settled into my seat, the movie began.
Just to give a brief overview without giving too much away, the movie stars Ethan Hawke as the famous true-crime author Ellison Oswalt. He moves into a house to write about a crime that had occurred there, much to the discontent of his uprooted family. However, after finding a box of Super 8 film reels and a film player up in the attic, strange things begin to happen to Ellison and his family.

sinister2 300x225 “Sinister” is positively sinisterLike I stated previously, upon initial inspection, the story line seems a bit cliché. But as I watched it, I was shivering and shaking not just because of the cold movie theater, but with fright and anticipation of what would come next on screen. Once the tension in the movie began rising, it never stopped and it simply continued to rocket skyward.  The only comic relief in sight was a fan boy deputy who liked to state the obvious.

The grittiness of the Super 8 films shown added to the overall eerie feeling of the movie. The content of the films themselves added to that feeling, showing brutally committed murders. When Ellison was watching one of the films (not going to tell which one), I had to hide my face in the collar of my jacket because I knew what was about to happen.  Hiding my face didn’t really make much of a difference or make me feel much better.

After the nerve-racking almost two hours I spent in the movie theater, I left with my uncle shivering a bit. I can say, though, for the rest of the night I looked over my shoulder, paranoid of what might be hiding in the shadows. In my opinion, this is exactly what a horror movie should do to a person.

sinister3 300x198 “Sinister” is positively sinisterI would highly recommend this to anyone who is a horror movie junkie or is up for a scare this Halloween week. This movie will make you sit on the edge of your seat and scare you out of it as well.