What should be done about guns in America?

By MEGHAN ALESSI
Contributing Writer

The tragedy that occurred in Aurora, Colo. on July 20, 2012 speaks volumes about the society we live in. A man was able to walk into a movie theater during the midnight premiere of “The Dark Knight Rises” and shoot dozens of people with a myriad of guns, killing 12 people and injuring 58 others. The suspect, James Eagan Holmes, a previous student at the University of
Colorado, Denver, was able to legally purchase the guns he used that night. Holmes had three different guns on him, rst using a Remington 870 12-gauge shotgun, then an AR-15 assault rie and nally a .40 caliber Glock handgun. The shot gun that Holmes used most likely held ve rounds and each one of those, when red, sprays out several pellets. Imagine that
type of gun being red in a packed theater. The AR-15 assault rie closely resembles the military’s M-16 and Holmes had it rigged with a 100-round drum magazine. Fortunately, it jammed during the attack. The real question is when would it ever be necessary for anyone to own the types of guns James Holmes was able to legally purchase before his What should be done about guns in America? deadly rampage? I can understand why a common citizen might want a shotgun to hunt with or a handgun for protection in their homes. However, the weapon in question in my mind is the AR-15 with the extended  magazine. That isn’t a weapon necessary for hunting or protection. It is a weapon made for widespread damage and harm. Should it really be made accessible to the general public? I don’t think it should. I realize that even if these types of guns could not be purchased legally it would most likely not stop them from ending up in the wrong hands. Unfortunately, those who want them would still nd a way to get them. However, I question the fact that the United States has the ability to prevent deadly shootings from happening and yet does not do so because of the potential of “encroaching on one’s rights.” Maybe I am alone on this, but I would much rather be able to go to a movie theater for a carefree night of fun with my friends than have the ability to own an AR-15. The government cannot regulate behavior as it so often tries to do. For example,  people use Sudafed to create meth, so you now have to get a prescription to purchase it. It seems as though the innocent are punished more than the guilty. Instead, our focus should be turned to those who abuse the system. Cracking down on gun
laws is not going to stop the violence, but it might make weapons intended to do massive harm a little harder to get. I would say that’s a step in the right direction.