Outside scholarships are great tools to help with college funding. Below are some web sites that offer FREE searches on outsideÂ scholarships:
Here are a couple of things we have learned along the way about outside scholarships that you should keep in mind:
- Never pay for information about outside scholarships; itâ€™s free from web sites such as the ones mentioned above.
- Many outside scholarships are available for only your first year of college. Sometimes, students enter college with a significant amount of outside scholarships, only to have none of those funds after the first year. So, just be careful and plan accordingly.
- Applicants are not required to be taking Engineering courses to be eligible.
- How to Apply
- Students must submit an essay of no more than 1000 words in answer to one of the two questions that are posted on the AES site.
- Amount of award: $500.00
- Deadline for entry: October 5, 2012
- Further information, including previous winners, is available on the AES web site.
The John Keys Kentucky S.A.L. Scholarship
Applicants must meet at least one (1) of the following eligibility requirements:
- Any honorably discharged veteran of the United States Armed Forces, without consideration for period or length of service, who is a legal resident of the Commonwealth of Kentucky; OR
- Any member of the Kentucky Sons of The American Legion (any S.A.L. member who belongs to a Squadron in Kentucky), whose dues for the current membership year are paid. Eligibility requirements are detailed in this brochure.
- All applicants must be enrolled at a post-secondary institution verified by a letter from the institution confirming the applicantâ€™s enrollment. The applicantâ€™s most recent grade report must also be provided. All applications must contain a true copy of one (1) of the following items:
- The applicantâ€™s honorable discharge certificate from the U.S. Armed Forces
- The applicantâ€™s DD214 form
- The applicantâ€™s current year S.A.L. membership card
- Scholarship applications are accepted throughout the year and must be mailed to the following address:
- John Keys S.A.L. Scholarship Fund
Independence Squadron 275, S.A.L.
P.O. Box 18791
Erlanger, KY 41018-0791
Download Keys Scholarship Application
Women’s Association of Georgetown College
- Amount Awarded: $1,000
- Criteria: You must be a female incoming student at Georgetown College, full-time with a G.P.A. of 3.0 or better and have demonstrated your leadership abilities in your school or community.
Download Women’s Association Scholarship Form
Women Leading Kentucky
- Amount Awarded: $1000 – $1500
- Criteria: You must be a female undergraduate student (freshman, sophomore or junior) enrolled full time at a Kentucky college/university, have a G.P.A. of 3.0 or better, and have demonstrated your leadership abilities on campus and/or in your communities. Approximately eight (8) students will be selected for scholarships and all will be informed of their selection in mid-April 2013. Scholarship winners will be required to attend reception in May to receive award. Exact date TBA.
- Step 1: Go online to apply.
- Step 2: Submit your scholarship application, copy of your transcript and an essay of not more than 300 words about why you deserve this leadership scholarship, no later than February 1, 2013. You can email all your information to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to the following address. Please do not send duplicate copies.
Women Leading Kentucky
P.O. Box 961
Lexington, KY 40588
Outside Scholarships for International Students
All students, even those receiving scholarships from Georgetown College, are encouraged to apply for outside scholarships. Please note that we do not help with the application process for outside scholarships or have anything to do with the outcome of an application. You will have to contact the institutions who provide outside scholarships directly if you have any questions. Georgetown College does not have any relationship with these institutions.
This is in no way an exhaustive list, but a good starting point. We wish you success in your search!