Name: Katie Henderson
Hometown: California, KY
Major: Political Science
Minor: History and Sciology
Graduation Date: Fall 2009

KatieSrSpotlight Featured Scholar

I decided to join the Equine Scholars Program at Georgetown because I wanted to continue my education in the equine industry. I have no plans to enter into any equine-based career; however the skills and contacts I have developed from this Program will aid me in whatever career choices I make.

I have interned with Representative Addia Wuchner at the Kentucky State Capitol and I am also currently interning with Kentucky Refugee Ministries based her in Lexington, Ky. I studied abroad with the KIIS program in the Czech Republic and I am a member of the President’s Ambassadors Program. I have also served on the Honor Council here at Georgetown. Through my involvement with the Equine Scholars Program, I also have had the opportunity to participate as a pioneering member of the Kentucky Equine Humane Center and its Georgetown College Equine Scholars Program partnership.

I grew up riding and showing Quarter Horses. My favorite classes are hunter under saddle and showmanship. I have represented the Mid-East Kentucky Quarter Horse Association a number of times at the All American Quarter Horse Congress . I have also served on the Kentucky 4-H judging team, where I won the High Point Senior award as well as the Jackson award for Senior Oral Reasons; I also placed in the top ten at the national judging competition at the All American Quarter Horse Congress.

Currently I am working with a yearling named Blackandwhitedetails, also known as Banks.

After graduation I hope work for an organization such as AmeriCorp or the Peace Corps to gain more experience. Following this, I plan on attending graduate school, perhaps for social work.

My favorite equine trips I have taken as an Equine Scholar would be a tie between the polo lesson and the mounted police demonstration.