It is the responsibility of the graduate student to become thoroughly informed about the general regulations as stated in this catalog and in the Graduate Student Handbook. The Graduate Student Handbook is available online. This Handbook outlines all college policies and regulations as well as grievance procedures for graduate students while enrolled at Georgetown College.

The graduate student is responsible for completing all program requirements within the permitted time limit. Academic policies of the Graduate Program are made and enforced by the Graduate Council. Requests for clarification or exceptions to these policies must be made through the Director of Graduate Education to this body.

Graduate study is generally more research oriented and more specialized and in-depth than undergraduate education. Graduate students are expected to show maturity and resourcefulness and to accept the responsibility of meeting the demands of challenging course work. They are also expected to have organized and disciplined work habits that maximize success in demanding courses.

Admission to graduate study does not imply admission to degree candidacy. Successful scores on all program assessments and compliance with the qualitative standards for coursework are also requirements for the degree.

Graduate Council

The Graduate Council admits or rejects candidates to the Graduate Program and degree candidacy, recommends policies to the Director of Graduate Education, and evaluates the Graduate Program. The Council also serves as a review board in student academic matters and approves new courses, programs and policy changes.  The Graduate Council is composed of the Director of Graduate Education, the Provost, two K-12 classroom teachers, two graduate students recommended by the Graduate Faculty, and three faculty members who teach in the Graduate Education Program elected by the full-time (12-month) Graduate Faculty.

Degree Application and Graduation Information

Granting the M.A. degree and/or certification requires successful completion of all coursework and all required core program assessments. Exit requirements vary depending upon the specific program. For initial certification programs, teacher certification is recommended upon successful completion of all program requirements.

Students who plan to complete degree requirements by August of a given calendar year should make arrangements for degree completion and graduation by attending an Exit Interview early in the spring semester. Those completing requirements in the fall should contact their advisor early in that semester to accomplish this.

The procedure to make arrangements for graduation is as follows:

  1. Meet with your advisor to check graduation requirements (Exit Interview).
  2. Complete the reflective essay as instructed before the June due date.
  3. Order cap and gown in the Graduate Education Office.

Graduation exercises are held in August and all candidates for graduate degrees are required to participate. If because of unusual circumstances it is believed necessary to graduate in absentia, a written request to the Director of Graduate Education is necessary for waiver of this requirement.

Certification Procedure

Teacher certification is a function of the Commonwealth of Kentucky and satisfactory completion of a graduate program does not automatically result in certification or a change in certification. The following procedure should be observed in applying for any certificate:

  1. Secure an application for certification (TC-1 Form) from the Graduate Education Office or certifying state agency. Complete the appropriate sections and return to the Graduate Education Office.
  2. In Kentucky, there is a $50 charge for the certificate. A cashier’s check payable to the Kentucky Treasurer, should accompany the application.
  3. The Education Office mails the completed application, check, and official transcript directly to the appropriate state office.

Post Graduate Courses

Courses taken after the completion of the Bachelor’s Degree, but prior to admission to a graduate program may not be counted on the Master’s Degree without the written permission of the Director of Graduate Education.


Each graduate student will be assigned to a selected graduate faculty advisor. Students are required to attend a scheduled advising session and sign a curriculum contract prior to enrolling in their first semester of study. Students may not be permitted to register for a second semester or term if the program sheet-contract has not been filed in the Graduate Office.

Student Load

Most of Georgetown’s graduate students attend part-time except in our flexible summer program when students may choose up to twelve hours in short term modules. Students enrolled for at least eight semester hours are considered full-time. Students may not enroll for more than twelve hours in a given semester. Students who are employed full-time may not enroll for more than two courses per term during the term of their employment (normally fall and spring semesters). For each credit hour earned, the student must spend a minimum of 12.5 clock hours in planned instructional activities and/or class meetings as designed by the instructor. Each instructor is responsible for maintaining academic excellence and integrity.

Dropping a Course or Withdrawal

When students find it necessary to drop a course during a term, the drop/add must be completed through the Graduate Office. Drop or failure to attend once a class has started will incur a portion of the tuition charge as well as the drop fee. The signature date of the Director of Graduate Education on the drop/add card is the date for calculation of refund. Failure to complete the withdrawal process will result in a grade of “F” in all courses and no refund.

Independent Study

Students must obtain the approval of the Director of Graduate Education and a supervising professor prior to registering for independent study.

Grades and Scholarship Standards

All students are expected to maintain a grade-point average of 3.0 which is the minimum required for graduation. A grade lower than “C” will not count for graduate credit in any program. A cumulative point standing of 3.0 must be attained for the M.A. in Education Degree. A grade of “I” (Incomplete) must be converted within one year from the end of the term in which the “I” was acquired, or the “I” automatically becomes an “F.” Two consecutive semesters (or summer terms) of failure to maintain a 3.0 standing will result in the student’s suspension from graduate study for a period of one year. Any student readmitted after suspension must maintain at least a 3.0 average until his/her overall standing reaches a 3.0. A second suspension will be final.

Continuous Progress

As students progress through a specific program, they are required to complete successfully several specified major assessments. These assessments are completed in specific courses, and measure the candidate’s competence in meeting state, program (Conceptual Framework), and specialty standards. All major assessments are scored using a scoring rubric, and are used both to track the progress of individual candidates, and to inform the unit of any program weaknesses that need to be addressed. Students who fail to meet minimal requirements for passing a particular assessment are required to meet with the course instructor and devise an action plan. All major assessments must be satisfactorily completed before the candidate can graduate from the program. Many programs also require satisfactory completion of particular major assessments before progressing to the next module or sequence of courses.

In addition, all candidates enrolled in the Graduate Education Program must demonstrate the professional dispositions expected of teacher candidates as outlined in the program’s Conceptual Framework. Students’ dispositions are assessed upon program entrance and also throughout the program. When a student’s dispositions are inconsistent with the Conceptual Framework, faculty submit a “Dispositions Evaluation-Record of Concerns” specifying the specific concern(s) for which the student is being referred. Students who fail to meet program standards are required to meet with their academic advisor to develop an action plan and address all areas of weakness. Depending upon the severity of the infraction(s), advisors may recommend delay in enrolling in further coursework. Multiple infractions can result in denying admission to or removal from the Teacher Education Program, and will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Academic Appeal Procedure

Students should first seek to resolve the problem with the specific faculty member involved. If a student wishes to lodge a complaint against a faculty member in an academic matter that cannot be resolved directly with the faculty member, the student should normally first consult with his/her academic advisor.  The advisor will guide the student through the options available to the student (informal or formal complaint).  When there is an informal expression of an academic concern, the student’s faculty advisor should convey the essence of that concern to the Director of Graduate Education, who will investigate the issue.  The Director will take any necessary action to help resolve the issue. If the faculty member in question is the Director of Graduate Education, the advisor will convey the nature of the concern to the Chair of Education, who will investigate the issue and take any necessary action to help resolve the issue.  If the faculty member in question is the student’s advisor, the student should contact the Director of Graduate Education for resolution of the problem.

Formal complaints should be reserved for situations in which a student believes he or she has been adversely affected in a way that cannot be or has not been resolved through informal intervention. When the student wishes to lodge a formal complaint, the student should generally seek advice from his/her academic advisor about the best way to proceed (unless the advisor is the focus of the complaint).  To make a formal complaint, the student must submit a written statement of the difficulty to the Director of Graduate Education and request that the issue be resolved through the Graduate Council.  This statement should be no longer than two pages and should concentrate on the facts of the issue in question.

The Director of Graduate Education then reviews the facts, communicates with the person(s) involved, and attempts to resolve the difficulty to the student’s satisfaction.  If that attempt is unsuccessful, the matter will be forwarded to the Graduate Council for review.  The Council will review the facts of the grievance and make a recommendation to the Provost for resolving the problem.  The final disposition of the issue is in the hands of the Provost and is final and binding.

Comprehensive Examination

In addition to the continuous assessment requirements noted above, candidates are required to submit a reflective essay at the conclusion of their program. Details of this requirement are provided during the Exit Interview. Initial certification programs and some endorsement programs also require that students pass certain PRAXIS exams prior to being exited from the program.


A student obtains residence credit only for courses completed at Georgetown College. Nine semester hours of summer courses or one semester as a full-time student with a minimum of nine semester hours satisfies the residence requirement.

Transfer of Credits

With approval of the Director of Graduate Education, a student may transfer as many as six semester hours toward a degree or program, provided the credits were earned while enrolled in an accredited graduate school. No graduate credit is accepted for courses taken by correspondence.

Students enrolled in the MA with LBD Certification Program, under some circumstances, may transfer up to nine semester hours of credit. These cases are recommended by the Director of the LBD program.

Time Limitation

All credits, including transfer credits, must be completed within a period of seven years. Credits earned seven years prior to the date that the student expects to receive the M.A. degree shall not count for credit or for residence toward the degree. Certain programs involving Temporary Provisional Certification may carry a shorter time limitation. Consult your advisor if in doubt.