A Career/Experience Internship is non-credit and provides a valuable learning experience that fits students’ specific vocational goals. This may be paid or non-paid and offered during the fall, spring and summer semesters. Students who complete an internship through Georgetown College’s Internship Program will receive a transcript notation.
- Must be a Sophomore, Junior or Senior. (First year students are welcome to explore internships. Reach out to the Graves Center staff to discuss.)
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. (Students with GPA less than 3.0 may participate by should complete the Letter of Recommendation Request Form and submit it to the faculty member providing the recommendation)
- Must be able and willing to work 10-20 hours a week.
- Must be responsible to site organization and respectful of its code of ethics and confidentiality. Be on time. Meet dress codes. Meet deadlines assigned. Communicate to site supervisor for any reason of non-completion of task or inability to meet hours assigned.
Career Experience Internship Process
- Complete interview training through the Graves Center for Calling and Career to prepare for an interview with the prospective supervisor. (Highly recommended for all students looking to complete an internship)
- Contact potential internship organizations and schedule interview(s).
- Inform the Graves Center for Calling & Career of site selection, site supervisor name and contact information. (Student is ultimately responsible for securing the internship)
- Within two weeks of internship, schedule a meeting with the Graves Center for Calling & Career to review a Learning Contract. You may find it helpful to review these Contract Tips.
- Schedule a meeting with your site supervisor to review your learning contract for supervisor’s approval and signature.
- At the mid-point of the internship, schedule a meeting with your site supervisor to discuss your progress on accomplishing your goals and to verify if any adjustments in your strategies are necessary.
- Upon completion of internship, complete “self-evaluation exercise” portion of learning contract. Schedule an appointment with Internship Coordinator to review the contract.
- Complete Student Survey at the end of the internship.
- Follow up with internship site supervisor.