Evacuation Procedures – Fire
- Activate the alarm
- When the fire alarm is activated, evacuation is mandatory
- Call for help – dial 911
- Evacuate at the nearest exit
- Evacuate immediately
- Evacuate to an area that does not impede responders
- If possible, assist persons with disabilities
- DO NOT USE ELEVATORS
- Do not re-enter the building until authorized by Public Safety officials.
Shelter in Place – Tornado Warning
- If the “All Hazards” sirens are activated or you are notified of a warning, immediately seek shelter in the nearest facility.
- Proceed to the lowest level of the building you are in. If a basement is not available, seek an interior hallway or small interior room on the lowest level, away from windows and doorways.
- “All Clear” will be announced over the local TV and radio stations or expiration of the initial National Weather Service warning.
Shelter in Place – Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT)
- If advised to shelter for a HAZMAT incident, immediately seek shelter in the neatest facility.
- Close and lock all windows, exterior doors, and any opening to the outside.
- If possible, move to an interior room on an above-ground floor with the fewest windows and vents.
- Do not leave the building until authorized by Public Safety officials.
Shelter in Place – Active Shooter
- If advised to shelter for an active shooter incident, immediately seek shelter in the nearest facility.
- If possible, lock or barricade yourself and others inside a room
- Do not leave your area until authorized by Public Safety officials.
Non Emergency Phone Numbers
- Georgetown Police Department: 502-863-7826
- Georgetown Fire Department: 502-863-7833
- Georgetown Dispatch Center: 502-683-7820
- Campus Safety: 502-863-8111 or Ext. 8111
How You Will Be Notified
In the case of an emergency all efforts will be made to alert the campus community in the following ways:
- All Hazards Emergency Warning sirens: Shelter in Place
- Fire Alarms: Evacuate the building
- Email: An email may be sent to all people with a ‘georgetowncollege.edu’ address.
- Text Messaging: Georgetown College faculty, staff, and students may sign up for the Text Alert System to receive an emergency notification text message.
- Webpage: The homepage (www.georgetowncollege.edu) is the focal point for all campus-related emergencies.
- Local Media: The College works with the news media, radio, TV, newspapers, and internet, to help spread the word.