• 120 Hours needed for Graduation
  • An average of 15 hours is needed to be on track for Graduation.
  • 39 Upper-division hours (300 or above) are needed for Graduation
  • 56 General Education Hours** (**Maybe less depending on CLEP, AP, etc.)
  • 30-63 Major Hours (Range depending on major, some major hours count for Gen. Ed)

CLEP Tests

Students may take the CLEP exam at Georgetown College through the Registrar’s Office. CLEP is offered during the summer on select dates for new students, and periodically throughout the semester for any students. If you desire to register for a CLEP test contact the Registrar’s Office at ext. 8024. The Registrar’s Office notifies the students of the results of their CLEP exams and advisors receive a copy of the notification as well. The course credit is added to the student’s transcript with a grade CL. The CLEP subject exams approved include the following:

Exam Title Scaled Score CourseHours of Credit
American Government50Political Science 1003
American History I54History 2233
American History II54History 2253
Biology47Biology 1003
Business Law50Business Administration 3303
Business Management50Business Administration 3483
Calculus with Elementary Functions50Mathematics 1253
College Algebra54Mathematics 1073
College French56French 2013
College French*66French 2303
College German54German 2013
College German*56German 2303
College Spanish56Spanish 2013
College Spanish*66Spanish 2303
Freshman College Composition*50English 1113
Freshman College Composition**60English 1123
General Chemistry40Chemistry 1023
General Chemistry54Chemistry 1114
General Chemistry60Chemistry 111, 112, 1138
Introductory Psychology50Psychology 1113
Introductory Accounting50Business Administration 2103
Principles of Marketing50Business Administration 3453
Introductory Macroeconomics50Economics 2213
Introductory Microeconomics50Economics 2233
Western Civilization I54History 1113
Western Civilization II54History 1133
*Plus departmental examination in composition
**Plus departmental examination in research technique, documentation and paraphrasing.

Advanced Placement

Advanced Placement credit is given to students who take Advance Placement classes in high school and pass the standardized examination with scores of 3, 4, or 5. THE STUDENTS MUST SEND DOCUMENTATION OF SCORES TO THE REGISTRAR’S OFFICE before AP scores can be reviewed. The Registrar’s Office sends notice to the students that they have earned credit. The classes are added to the student transcript with the grade AP.

Departmental Exams

Some departments have developed an examination which if passed will give credit and a grade for a specific course. The department examinations must be approved by the Academic Policy Committee (APC). Prior to taking the exam, students must register in the Registrar’s Office, receive approval from the department chair, and make payment for the examination. The professors submit the grades to the Registrar’s Office where they are added to the student’s transcripts.


A minor is encouraged as an option; however it is not required. Minors range from 18 to 21 hours. If a minor is not selected, students must take 15 upper-division hours outside of the major department and major allied requirements for a total of 39. However, please note that some allied courses from other departments are considered within the major.

Nexus Program

The Nexus program is designed to create meaningful connections that enhance, expand, and engage the cultural, intellectual, and spiritual life of the campus community.

Students attending Georgetown College for eight full-time semesters are required to attend 48 events. Students attending less than eight full-time semesters will be required to attend a total of six events per full-time semester at Georgetown College.

Nexus events are divided into four categories:
Live-Learn-Believe Events (Know Your World – a minimum of 24 to 40 credits required);
Tiger Events (Know Your Traditions – a minimum of eight credits required); including the following: Opening Convocation, Founder’s Day Convocation, Hanging of the Green, Senior Chapel Day, Cawthorne Lecture, Redding Lecture, Jo Shoop Lecture, Hatfield Lecture, Collier Lecture, McCandless Program, Danford Thomas Program, and Foust Artist Series;
Flex Events (Initiate Yourself – a maximum of eight credits possible but not required); and
Immersion Events (Explore More Deeply – a maximum of eight credits possible but not required).

Nexus events will range from one-four credits (in the case of Flex Events, from one-three credits, and Immersion Events, from one-four credits), with the weighting being based upon the level of engagement at which the student participates.

Each semester, a list of Nexus events shall be posted on my.georgetowncollege.edu, as well as information regarding how to apply for Flex event credit. A tally of earned Nexus credit is kept as part of each student’s academic record. For many one-credit events (e.g., lecture, concert, gallery reception, worship service), a student will receive a ticket to complete and turn in at the conclusion of the event. However, in some circumstances, the event coordinator may take attendance. These credits are then added to the student’s record. For Flex and Immersion Events, the coordinating faculty member will make a list of the participating students and forward to the Registrar’s Office for addition to the students’ record.

Students should earn a minimum of six Nexus credits per each full-time semester at Georgetown to ensure a timely completion of their chosen degree program (although no more than 48 Nexus units are required to graduate). It is the student’s responsibility to monitor his/her progress in meeting this graduation requirement. The Nexus requirement shall be in addition to the Foundations & Core requirements and all other degree requirements.

Students who matriculated at Georgetown College prior to fall 2009 must complete the requirements of the CEP program; students matriculating at Georgetown College in fall 2009 or later must complete the Nexus program.

Four Credit Course

If a student enrolls in a 4-credit hour course, it is advisable to have the student sign up for 16 hours (enabling the ability to drop a course and remain full-time)

Satisfactory Academic Progress/Scholarships

Keeping financial assistance is contingent upon meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress. Those standards, which are outlined in the catalog, require that all students receiving aid earn a certain number of hours and attain a specified GPA, depending on the number of semesters the student has been enrolled. Academic scholarships valued at less than half-tuition require the maintenance of SAP GPA standards; academic awards valued at half-tuition and above require a 3.0 cumulative GPA. If the student is unable to meet these standards, an opportunity to appeal based on special circumstances will be given.

For a student to keep full Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship (KEES) award, he/she must have a 2.5 cumulative GPA annually at the end of each spring semester. If he/she drops below the 2.5 threshold at the end of any spring semester, the student will lose his/her KEES money for a full academic year, but may later regain their KEES award as long as he/she attains a 2.5 minimum cumulative GPA. The state does not permit appeals for KEES awards.

Family Education Right to Privacy Act

FERPA prohibits schools from allowing access to students’ educational records (all records at an educational institution) without the student’s permission (except in specific circumstances). In addition, the act allows students to see the records kept on them. The institution may release educational records to parents of IRS dependent students, but you need documentation that the student is IRS dependent, usually this may be obtained from Financial Aid Office.

One advising issue arises around notes advisors may write about a student. If these are personal notes you prefer the student not to see, these notes must not be kept in the student’s folder and must not be shared with anyone else; not even given to a secretary to type and they must be destroyed if you leave your position with this student.

In general, faculty and staff may have access to student records in order to perform their proper functions for “legitimate educational purposes.”